Friday 1 July 2016

Multi-tasking and more

Hi Everybody!

Today is Elizabeth's second on the second, where we can re-show a post made previously. The story here is one I wrote back in 2009, when I was still working at the old people's home:

Multi-tasking


I recently had a copy of Einstein's "Theory of Relativity" in my hands. I had a quick look at it, but I could not find an explanation for the fact that workdays last for what seems weeks and weekends go by quicker than a 5 minute break when the boss is watching. Perhaps we all try to cram too much into our weekends. I don't really have to do anything, but I WANT to do everything, and that doesn't work. And I often have to work at weekends or do at least half a day, and that reduces the free time even more. I am one of those fortunate people who can't sleep well at night, so that gives me some extra crafting time anyway. 
And then there is always the possibility of multi-tasking - put the washing in the machine, put the dishes in the machine - try to use the right machine for the right job while you're at it; put the potatoes on to cook, talk to a friend on the phone, make the bed with one hand, trip over the washing you forget to put in the machine, wonder what that strange noise is you're hearing, a sort of ferocious hissing sound coming from the kitchen - OK, turn the potatoes down. Ouch, the lid was hot, fingers scalded, put down the telephone to hold the hand under the cold-tap, strange smell of plastic, remove telephone from the hot-plate and drop it. But it still seems to be working, someone is calling out "hello, hello, what's up!". Carry on the conversation, tell your friend it was nothing, after all it was only a few scalded fingers which now resemble chipolatas. Sit at the computer and look if you've got mail, type a few answers with the fingers which you can still use and try to remember to say something every now and then to your friend who is telling you her problems on the phone. When the mails are answered, tell your friend you have to go because you've got an invitation to lunch at a nice Italian restaurant. Go into the kitchen, avoiding the wet spots in the floor and discover that you forgot to put the potatoes back onto the hot-plate, and lunch moves further away. Look into the fridge to see what you could eat instead - some sour milk, two slices of cheese which would send any self-respecting mouse into a hunger-strike, some strange furry objects in tupper-boxes, 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of pro-secco. You decide to get dressed and go to the take-away, fall over the washing still on the floor on the way to the bathroom, and bang your head on the door-frame. No cause to panic, the woodwork has not been damaged and there are no chips in the paint. Get showered and dressed without further mishaps, get on your bike and ride to the take-away. Halfway there you remember that you forgot your money, turn round and go back. Run up the 2 flights of stairs to the flat, grab some money, run back down and start again. Success, half a roast chicken accompanies me on my way home without protesting. Safely back home I wait for the dish-washer to finish so that I can eat my chicken from a plate, and decide to spend a nice afternoon crafting, and leave housework to those who show more aptitude in it!

By the way, the wonderful mug is one a friend had printed for me back then, and which unfortunately got broken:(

For Art Journal Journey, gardens, I have a spread from my journal, using gesso, stamps, scraps and doodling:





The water level in the Rhine is slowly dropping, but the ships just seem to get bigger and bigger:






And my quote for today:

'A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.
A successful woman is one who finds such a man'
Lana Turner


Have a great day you all, take care
and thanks a lot for coming by!

24 comments:

  1. This is really funny Val, you should write your little stories more often! Love the journal pages and photos, too. Those ships really do seem to be getting bigger all the time. Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame that mug got broken - it's a fabulous quote and I love the story, such fun.
    Lovely journal pages and photos, they are big ships and big loads too.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaaa --- super Story ..das alles klingt sehr vertraut für mich..könnte ich sein von der DU da schreibst...lol....
    eine traumhaft schöne Doppelseite...absolut romantisch und
    die Schiffe sind echt beeindruckend!
    Happy Saturday!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your tiring story, sorry the mug got broken! Beautiful piece for AJJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great blog post back then and is still true today. At least for me. I have been trying to stop multi tasking because it never works- and never mind weekends- two days is just not enough time off. Too bad the mug got broken, it is great! Love your journal pages too. I love the garden theme and can't wait to get a little time to play with flowers!!! Hope the weekend is going well and you have lots of sunshine (compared to rain.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was hilarious. I loved it, and could relate to some of it. Your humor was really evident, and I was SO glad you reshared this, because I am so new to your blog it was a real treat.

    Your garden entry is lovely. I suspect Yvonne will be very pleased with this one. And the boats seem to be carrying more freight than usual.

    Thanks for sharing this second look at a very funny post with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great story! I laughed my head off! And could so very well be true. I have had situations like this! (aren't women supposed to be good at multi tasking?)
    The photos of the Rhine a super.
    And of course your journal page is very appropriate for gardens. I wonder if you can see your style has evolved in those 7 years....
    Have a good weekend,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so funny Valerie--funny ha ha I mean. It was all so true though and I saw myself in the same position when I used to work. What a terrific mug.

    Just adore the pages today with a really calmness and what a garden means. Given me a idea for a page.

    The ships are huge aren't they? What a great way to shift all the containers though instead of clogging up the roads.

    Have a great weekend

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful journal pages and a brilliant and funny story.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA! Hilarious Valerie! So true about how the time passes differently on a weekday then it does during the weekend. Beautiful piece, love your photos! hugs :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a real good read, and many smiles it brought to my face, Love your journal spread and the lovely quote beside the home scene.
    Have a good weekend.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I think I have that man in the quote....he is awesome...love the read too.x

    Beautiful journal pages just love them and the gorgeous colour combo as well...enjoy your weekend.xx {aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful garden page, Valerie, and fun story!
    Hugs, Mar

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Valerie, you got me giggling here!! Excellent second post! I love your journal page and the fabulous quote! The Lana Turner quote had me giggling again! Have a great weekend! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't entered these for the new AJJ theme as these have already appeared in the Through My Window theme last year! I have one "on the go" though! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH my gosh...your multitasking story sounds like me on way too many days! Today for example...I dumped the clean laundry on the bed to fold, started work on the last page of a commissioned scrapbook, went to the store, meal planning for the rest of the Holiday weekend and have yet to finish any of those task other than the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! I'm not much of a multitasker either... I do best at one task at a time. I love your garden pages and the photographs are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Valerie, Love your multitasking story. I have good and bad days, so all this gave me a smile. Love your garden pages. Have a great weekend even if it fly's by too quickly!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha! I love that sentiment. Great pages, too. hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  20. ha ha lots to smile at - love that quote and your fab story :)

    Your journal spread is really beautiful, especially the Tulips - love this months theme as my garden is my next favourite place to my craft room. (the kitchen belongs to Dave and I am happy at that).

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. So funny and well written, Valerie! Had a good laugh. Your pages are gorgeous - as are the photos. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seeing the picture with all the shipping containers makes me think of the programs TV about Tiny Houses and some of them are made from containers. They are fabulous. The two pages in your art journal are beautiful. They each can stand alone they are so nice. The left one is my favorite but both are beautiful.genie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.