Wednesday 30 May 2012

Tag Tuesday on Wednesday - Bunting

I cannot say that I am a fervent follower of the monarchy, but I do very much admire the Queen. She has been *In business* now for 60 years, and still going strong - hats off! I respect her enormous discipline and consciousness of her office, and how she carries out her duties, day for day. I am sure she has had a good life, too, with certainly more diversions, pomp and ceremony than most of us, but she has done her job well. And she has shown herself ready to learn and to listen to advice - I am thinking of her bowing at Princess Diana's funeral. And let's admit - she has had her share of troubles with her family, too!
At Tag Tuesday our theme this week is bunting, and my tags are meant as a little 'homage' to Queen Elizabeth II. As an oldie myself, I remember the parties at her coronation. I was lucky, I went to four - one on the street where we lived, one on the street where my Aunt lived, one at school, and one at a ladies' club, where I accompanied my great aunt. The parties were a great treat in those days. Growing up in post war London was dreary - grey streets, bomb sites which we used as playgrounds, buildings blackened and burnt. Rationing was part of daily life. Sweets and sugar were still rationed at this time, and so parties with jelly and custard and cakes were a real treat! Not to speak of a whole bar of Cadbury's chocolate each to take home. And other presents. At school and at one of the street parties we were given books; 'The Coronation Book of kings and Queens' and 'The Little Princesses'. At the other parties we were given commemorative mugs. The Mugs I gave to my sister when she left England and immigrated to the USA in 1958, as she wanted them as a keepsake; the books I still have and use. And it was also the first time that I was able to watch TV - my Aunt had bought a TV set for the occasion, and we all squashed into her tiny front parlour to watch it all happening.
Okay, enough reminiscences for today, I am starting to feel like Methuselem! (Spell Check evidently never heard of Methusalem, and advised 'Methadone'!!!)






And here's a song we learnt at school:

Here's a health unto her Majesty,
With a fa la la la la la la
To drink this loyal toast of wine.
With a fa la la la la la la.
And he that will not drink her health,
I wish him neither wit nor wealth,
Nor yet a rope to hang himself.
With a fa la la la la la la la la la,
With a fa la la la la la la.

And in case that was not enough:


Have a nice day you all, take care, and thanks for visiting!

25 comments:

  1. WOW!!!
    You out did yourself, Valerie! :]
    These tags are incredible.
    The photos, layout, embellishments, and the color scheme all work great as a whole.
    Beautiful work... always a pleasure to visit your blog. ((hugs))
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your patriot tags, we exile Brits need a bit of that from time to time to keep us going! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulously patriotic tags Valerie and lovely to read of your reminiscences too. Didn't realise you hail from the UK either.
    Have a good day.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful memories Valerie :)
    and a super selection of Jubilee tags :)
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tags and memories Valerie.
    I missed out on the Coronation....born 4 months later.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super tags Valerie and thanks for sharing your coronation memories. My mum was given a small bible for the coronation which she still has and I received a commemorative coin for the silver jubilee. Between the jubilee and the run up to the olympics, the shops are FULL of R,W&B decorations, however street parties are very much an English tradition so I'll just be sat in front of the telly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful to read your memories. :) Thanks for sharing. And fabulous tags you made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valerie. Love your tags. I share your thoughts on the monarchy too and greatly admire the work ethic of the Queen.

    Hope you are having a good day. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful patriotic tags Valerie and enjoyed your trip down memory lane. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  10. God save the Queen!!! Marvelous tags- I totally agree that you outdid yourself and that, my friend is not an easy thing to do!
    You're sounding more cheery, I hope this means you're feeling better!
    Hugs,
    Stephanei

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, you did out do yourself on these tags! I loved hearing about your time in London and the Coronation parties. Wonderful tribute to the queen, loved the video too. I could not figure out the singers jacket till I saw a few ladies holding a flag in the audience, lol. And we know you are not as old as Methuselah, ha ha. Have a wonderful day dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tags! So rich and vibrant... I can feel the celebratory air over here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all you projects and the stories and songs too! I have been to London twice and they were great trips! We saw the queen and princes in the courtyard of Windsor castle afar off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really lovely, Val. Loved reading your memories of the Coronation, too! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice tags and a lovely tribute! I do have memories of seeing her in a parade long long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wonderful; tribute, beautiful work, I laughed so hard when you said that about spell check!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic tags Valerie, i can share many of those memories as well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post so so so much! I LOVED reading about your childhood - and all the parties you attended - and it touched me to hear that you played in former bomb sights and that sweets were a treat. We really have so much these days and we take it for granted.
    AND I LOVE your art to accompany your story - the colors and bold and crisp and the ephemera is perfect. This was one of my favorite posts! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab tags love them !!! love your reminiscences too and as for spell check what a riot !

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great reminiscences and fab tags!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great memories Val and love your Jubilee tags. I'm like you not a Royalist but I do admire the Queen for her tenacity and loyalty to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SIMPLY SPECTACULAR! I adore these. so wonderful, Val. take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Valerie. What a lovely post. Really enjoyed reading it. Wonderful makes. I did giggle when I read about the spell checker.
    Regards Florence xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your tags are fabby! I enjoyed your memories. My MIL was an English War Bride to Canada..she would so have been glued to all of the festivities. And likely buying a celebration mug for all of the grands! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's always a pleasure to visit your blog Valerie, what memories you have to share. You have made some beautiful tags, love the newspaper one. You can always rely on spellchecker can't you lol x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.