Monday 21 May 2012

Frida Kahlo Journal Pages

Hi everybody. The weekend is over and we are once again at the start of a new week - hope it will be a good one. We had strange weather yesterday. It got really warm and muggy, and then in the afternoon the clouds started building up, and then we had a heavenly fire work display, with thunder, lightning and torrential rain. But the air felt good when it was over.

I pulled another prompt out of my tin yesterday, and got *Frida Kahlo*, an artist whom I very much admire - for her fight against her badly injured body, for the wonderful, expressive paintings she made, for her heartbreak with her husband, Diego Rivera, and for the marvellous art journal she kept. For my journal pages I have used scans of 2 pages from her journal as background for mine. I have added an image transfer of 'The broken column', and some of her quotes. This is the first time I have made journal pages without writing anything myself; I thought it was better just to share her thoughts and writing. I have added some stamping, a title, and a winged heart made of painted tin, sent from Mexico; Mexican folk-art seemed fitting.





Here are the front and back cover pictures from her Diary; I have the German edition, but it is available in English, too, and is a must-read for those who love journaling.



And last but not least, my DT piece for 'The Cheerful Stamp Pad'. The theme is running this time just for one week, and is a colour challenge - black, white and a dash of yellow. I have made a card featuring TH's old jalopy die-cut. The windows and trim have been made with music paper, and the car has been mounted onto some yellow and white patterned BG paper with foam squares, with yellow and white flowers for wheels. It should have a *Bon Voyage* sentiment, but the box with the sentiments seems to have gone on holiday....


Have a good day you all, take care and thanks for coming by!

27 comments:

  1. Love the pages about Frida Kahlo, they are very well made. Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work Valerie! Those Frida Kahlo pages are wonderful. Loving the card too - it's so fun.
    Hugs xx
    p.s. had to laugh...but I'm glad I'm not the only one whose crafty bits "go on holiday". xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Valerie sorry I haven't been about much as I'm working as much as I can before being made redundant :(
    What an amazing lady Frida was and love your jollopy looks quite girly tehe
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Frida Kahlo pages and your card is great especilly the flowery wheels. Have a good day.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great prompt and wonderful journal page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your old jalopy with the daisy wheels and ooh,how spooky, - I just googled Frida Kahlo (as ashamed to say I hadn't heard of her) and up popped her painting with the thorn necklace and hummingbird. Lo and behold my daughter was 'interpreting' this painting at the weekend for her art homework! Enjoy the rest of your Monday. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Valerie, Frida Kahlo was a complex character and I'm facinated by her story and a little troubled by her art, it makes me uncomfortable in lots of ways, perhaps that is what she was aiming for. Your pages are a lovely and fitting tribute and I love the TH car card great job:0) Have a great week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Frida too, Valerie! The journal pages are GORGEOUS! Cool wheels on the car.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this card and what you did with the wheels. Inspiring Frida pages too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pages, Valerie!! Frida was such an inspiring artist.
    I was lucky to see Diego Rivera's exhibit while in NY last November. it was amazing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your journal pages are gorgeous! I'm quickly loving them every bit as much as your amazing tags- and that's saying quite a lot!
    Hope this week is better for you!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Valerie, your post is very exciting! Love it and your work. What? What did you say? Did you just say that you had a contest giveaway for the Frida pages and that I won? No? Really? All righty then!! tee hee.:) Excellent work on the pages. I love her too. Have a wonderful week, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many inspiring pieces today! I love the Frida Kahlo journal page, totally stunning. The car is fabulous with the music in the windows and the daisy wheels! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh... yes!!
    A passion for Frida and you displayed it so well, Valerie.
    Great journaling pages.
    I agree, this book: The Diary of Frida Kahlo.
    Fantastic :]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful, thought provoking pages, and a fine card, too, Valerie!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely pages and a super card. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous idea to use not only the inspiration of her but to use the background and build on it xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the journal pages and how you built on a copy of the original page.
    Fabulous DT piece, the music in the windows is inspired.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Once again such wonderful art! Love that old jalopy! Here is hoping that you have a really nice day in the weather department!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful combination of two artists in your journal! I loved reading what she wrote, and loved what you did to compliment it. Wonderful fashion pages below too ;)
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Valerie. Wonderful inspiring work. Fab jalopy.
    Regards Florence xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pages are truly wonderful and I love the lettering... but your car, Vada.... took my breath away! LOVE it! Those wheels are out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm, wonder who Vada is? Don't tell me she's got a car like mine?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous car, the wheels are amazing not sure how practical they are though ! Interesting journal pages today you have so captured the spirit of this troubled artist.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Frida would be impressed. She would have loved yr journal pages. Fabulous...t/c, gerri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.