Friday 18 May 2012

PPF and Jason In Ghana

It's Friday again, so time for Paint Party Friday, hosted as always by Eva and Kristin, and Darcy's Postcard Challenge week 20, where our participants have to visit a west African country this week. Darcy, what about sending them somewhere normal, like Brighton or Blackpool or Berlin?? Anyway, Jason is off to Ghana....

After arriving back home from Bulgaria, Thelma was not really happy to see that Jason and Shannon had got so friendly. And although they both deny that there is more going on than just being friends, nobody believes them, least of all Thelma, who keeps a watchful eye on her beloved daughter.
They are still looking for a new flat and shop for Jason, but nothing that Thelma and Cissie find is right for him, and in the meantime, Shannon has taken to spending more and more time with Jason, ‘To help the boy in the shop....’
One afternoon, Jason, Shannon, Thelma and Cissie are enjoying their usual cream cake tea, swapping the newest news of hatches, matches and dispatches when Jason says, ‘I’ve got something to tell ya!’ Thelma thinks it might be something about Shannon, and nearly chokes on her tea, but is very relieved when Jason says that he is planning to go to visit an old school-friend, who is getting married. ‘Where does he live now?’ asks Cissie. ‘Well, 'e lives in Brixton, but 'e’s getting married in Accra, where ‘is parents came from. ‘E’s the one wiv the shop selling second hand jazz records, makes a fortune wiv ‘is old vinyl!’ says Jason. ‘Problem is, I ain’t got enough money to take Shannon, and she’s pretty cut up about it!’ ‘Where is Accra?’ both ladies ask simultaneously. ‘Isn’t it in South London somewhere?’ asks Cissie. Jason grins, and says, ‘Nah! It’s in Africa, in Ghana.’ Cissie and Thelma can’t stop shouting. ‘You must be mad!’ ‘I would never let my Shannon go there, there are pirates and terrorists everywhere!’ ‘Just send ‘em a nice present and be done with it!’ ‘Jason!’ please!’
But, as usual, Jason does not listen. Shannon is furious that her Mum won’t give her the money to go with him, and after tiring themselves out with eating cream-cakes and shouting at each other, they all go to the fish-and-chip shop for supper to recuperate. Sharon decides to knit Jason a pullover on her knitting-machine, and tells him he is not to take it off all the time he is there, except perhaps for the wedding, and he is not to look at any girls there. Cissie and Thelma are speechless. Then Thelma whispers to Cissie, ‘Bloody hell, I think they’re getting serious....’ And everybody in the shop starts to laugh.

After a long flight Jason arrives in Accra, and is surprised that it is a modern town, full of large buildings, noisy roads and crowded with people, in fact, not much different to London, as far as Jason can see.




(The first two pictures show the town of Accra, the third one is the sport stadium there. All three photos are from Wikipedia Commons)

His mate’s family live outside the town in a big, modern bungalow, with air-conditioning and IKEA furniture. Jason can’t believe it. He had envisaged Africa to be rather different…. The wedding ceremony goes on for several days, with partying day and night, which Jason just loves. The family give Jason some African masks, statues and printed cotton material to take home for his family.




When Jason arrives back at Heathrow, Shannon is waiting for him, and he realises how pretty she is, and how much he has missed her....

This is the postcard he sends Cissie. He sends the same one to Shannon, but puts it in an envelope, seals it, and writes ‘Private and VERY confidential, Thelma keep out!’ on it. I wonder what he wrote on it? Thelma was NOT amused....



The postcard features a mask, painted with tempera colours more than 20 years back. Jason is wearing Shannon's new pullover, and has grown a little beard. He thinks it will distract from his still rather swollen face. And he still has those red marks on his throat....

For Paint Party Friday I have made a large, mixed-media canvas. I have painted it with acyrlics, using templates from crafter's work shop for the small squares, numbers and writing. It's something a bit different to usual, I think it's good to try something new once in a while....







The quote is from Al Capp, rather thought provoking, but perhaps not to be taken quite seriously.

Here's wishing you all a good weekend, have fun, take care and thanks for looking!

53 comments:

  1. Wow, you have done a lot for today. I can feel romance in the air at Cissie and Jason's, and i love your PPF painting! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the quote on the mixed media piece.
    What a great piece. I love that you tried somthing new - feels good to do that - Your background is pretty too!
    have a great friday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots to enjoy on your blog this week- thanks for sharing!!

    Hugs,
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fun story continues:-) I like your new piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never disappoint Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great tale in the postcard saga! looks like Jason has found a sweetheart?! Love the postcard and your PPF looks great-the quote is quite amusing!! x Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mixed media art work is dramatic and powerful ~thanks, namaste, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valerie. Brilliant! Another great read about Jason and Cissie. Love your PPF project. The quote made me giggle. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Regards Florence xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your new...the colours are wonderful and the theme really makes you think...love the little mechanical pieces..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. great story as always on the postcard travels and I love this piece you've created. the colours and collaged bits, everything. I like the quote very much - it made me smile as I do think that very often completely abstract art could be (and has been done) by a monkey or an elephant and has no meaning other than the pretentious bull the artist attaches to it. but what do i know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly!!! But I did mine myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First I have to say I love your quote, it so made me laugh. Your canvas is beautiful. Thank you for the entertaining post Valerie. Take care of your self. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seems to be in the air for Jason, loved the next episode as always. The canvas is awesome and the words say it all.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mask is wonderful. I wonder what those red marks will lead too?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous episode of your story and great pics and artwork.
    Love your canvas and that quote is quite brilliant.
    Have a good weekend Valerie.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an enjoyable read Valerie. Shannon's knitti machine reminds me of my friend's mum who had one - it was always zipping back and forth! Love your mixed media piece - great quote and I love the earthy colours. Have a lovely weekend. Take care. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous post, as usual, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. another great postcard as usual. great read, love your story.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great fun! I think Jason's little beard suits him, distraction or not! M

    ReplyDelete
  20. A budding romance for Jason! I expect fireworks from Thelma and Cissie! Super postcard and artwork again!!!

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your storytelling is fabulous and I am intrigued , what next!
    The card is a delight and the collage is filled with fun designs and fabulous quote!!!
    I so enjoyed the whole post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well now you have us hooked on Jason and Shannon's romance, not just the travels.

    I think the new abstract is great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful, all of it! Your mixed media piece is lovely - and the postcards too! Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is wonderful ,Valerie!! :]
    Love the story, postcards, and your artwork.
    I agree... always a good thing to "try something new!" Builds character.
    Always enjoy my visit here, take care. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am cheering for Jason and feel for Thelma being kept in dark about the postcard for Shannon (reminds me of my teenagers telling me to keep out). Wonderful art! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like we all agree, we love the budding romance between Jason and Shannon. I do love visiting the interesting places you take us to. Your piece today is awesome, love that you tried something different and love the quote. That really made me laugh. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your new large mixed-media painting and all its cool componenets!! The inclusion of the numbers in the profile is great!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry I'm so late stopping by, but I was thrilled to get my Jason/Cissie fix! Oohhh, he's still got the marks....can't wait to hear more!
    And I really liked your new painting, VERY cool. I LOVE the numbers in the head and the quote with all the assorted squares it is a really striking piece!
    Hugs to you,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  29. well the countries were all chosen last November, but you will be pleased to know that next week is somewhere 'normal' hahaha

    love Jasons jumper, she must be smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow Ghana where will you take us next? Interesting mixed media and like the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fab postcard, I always enjoy reading about Cissie and Jason. There's always trouble when a girl's arrives on the scene.....!

    Great modern art quote (even if I don't agree with it!).

    x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such an exciting story, cannot wait for the continuation! Your painting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's always such fun reading your story lines. Love your cards and mixed media. Nice work Valerie! Happy weekend to you, enjoy. ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the way the story is unfolding but this week it is overshadowed by your painting... I am loving the new style that is emerging... this is very exciting stuff... love it...xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful canvas, Valerie! And you know you're always the one that reminds me I have to do a postcard for this week. :)Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I do so love reading your story, great ideas and humour.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is fab Valerie, I love the raised and textured parts and that quote is fun, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Really enjoy your story! Love the postcard and the mixed media canvas! The numbers on the head is so coo. I think I need to pick up some of those templates! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oooh, THAT's what came of the wip!
    I LOVE this so much - the face / silhouette and all the inner workings is brilliant! Bravo. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fab read Valerie, I love Jason's litle goatee, he's going to have to watch the marks his throat though lol. Your PPF piece is wonderful, all that texture, and the quote is perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gorgeous pages, I really love the mosaic style effect, really fab. Hope you have a lovely weekend
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. It is always a joy to come here, I thought all was lost, I had to start a new blog, I hope you will find me, its called when the bough broke,

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just love your posts as I always end up laughing out loud at something! I love your accents when Jason talks and your travels through Wikipedia! The quote about abstracts is so funny, too. i think your mosaic abstracted head collage is great. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  45. Once again a funny story to go along with you card--So wonder if Thelma cheated...

    ReplyDelete
  46. As I know Thelma - you bet she did! Probably steamed it open over the kettle!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Val, the postcards are fantastic, but i also need to tell you I fell off my chair laughing that you called Brighton 'Normal"!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Yes, well, but what is normal in these trouble times?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Good story again, getting quite serious aren't they. Your postcard is fun and your canvas fabulous.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Fantastic story and card this week. Love Jason's sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Had to catch up with the latest Jason/Cissie installment. Ha! I knew he'd have some mischief to get into. I smell a romance brewing. You are a great storyteller!

    And I am in LOVE with your mixed media piece! The squares are a great touch. I love the composition and the quote is a hoot! ;) It's really wonderful! Hugs to you, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Another fun tale from Auntie Cissie and Jason ! Love the quote about abstract art so true made me laugh !! Your work is fabulous as always so thought provoking !

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.