Saturday 12 March 2011

Large Family Tree

Got this large, wooden tree and the matching oval pieces for the pictures for a birthday present last year,

and have since been wondering what to do with it. Last week I decided to start, as I already have all my brushes and paints out, thought it might be a good time. First I painted it all with gesso, and then applied paint in green, beige, gold and some blobs of crackle paint here and there. I wanted it to look old and worn, which it now does, but it would have been easier to have painted it nice and new! The tree is from Kaiserkraft. I used the wooden ovals to cut the appropriate number of photos, using pics of my Great Grandma, Grandparents, Great Aunts and Uncles, My Mum and brothers and sisters and me when I was small, too. There were a lot more people in the family, but as I have no contact to them, I can't get any other photos. Anyway, the pics have been stuck down with mod podge, and then glazed with crackle varnish. I hung them onto the tree using some gold ball-chain.


Well, if any of my family should happen to see this and feel bad that they have not been included, they can send some photos over and they will be hung, too!
I had fun making this, as usual! Thanks for looking and have a great day!

14 comments:

  1. Great work, love the thought of hanging all the relations! Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous family tree, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out beautifully, thanks for sharing. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Val, I think I recognise some of thos photos! Hugs, Sarah & Kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh this is an amazing tree - I really love what you have done here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is what I call a family tree! It's a wonderful project, Valerie, everything you make seems to have so much meaning. CoB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous tree, and a lovely idea! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a special family tree Valerie, love how you've done it. Definitely a treasure. Enjoy the weekend. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is wonderful Val. I have my photos but need the time now! Lovely work, bet you pleased as punch to finish it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the kind comments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous Val, a really lovely keepsake. Love that you are displaying pics of your relatives instead of having to search through albums.

    Brilliant :)

    Hugs, Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning work as always hun and this is so personal to you it's has the smile factor! Art that makes us smile is indeed a treasure

    love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.