Sunday 27 March 2011

How to make an egg stand up....and Simon Says *Take a Word*

Good morning from sunny Kaiserswerth. Slept late today and woke up to bird song, sunshine and a sore throat. Then I decided to take some pics of the little eggs I made yesterday evening. Tee has challenged us to make some vintage eggs. I have a big box of plastic eggs for decorating, so I got to work. I painted them both with gold structure paint - perhaps inspired by that poor goose that laid golden eggs - and let them dry. The next thing was to find them again yesterday evening. I knew I had stuck them on sticks somewhere to dry off, but couldn't find them. All of a sudden I just saw them in the kitchen - they had hidden themselves in the jar with my paint brushes, and for some reasons I hadn't thought to look there. I would have liked to make something like those wonderful Fabergé eggs, but don't have that many jewels lying around, so I settled for a scaled down version. The first one got treated to some lilac gem-stones from Kaisercraft, some paper flowers to match and a lilac ribbon. Looks rather old fashioned, but that's OK for a vintage egg. The second one has been dolled up with some Prima leaves, a flower died to match, some golden gemstones and a pink ribbon, looks like a big bud. As I started to take pics this morning, they rolled about everywhere and wouldn't keep still, just like naughty kids! As I had just got out of bed, I couldn't think how to get them to stand up. Then I remembered those magic things - egg cups!
Next problem - they were too small, the plastic eggs are a little larger than *normal* eggs. In the end I used a little cut glass candle-stick, which turned out to be just the ticket!

So, after so much eggciting talk early in the morning I think I had better make an eggsit, as it is time for another coffee.











This is the card I made for the *Simon Says Stamp and show a word* Challenge. My word is *Paris*, and I have made rather grungy card using lots of Paris stamps over a faded French postcard background, and of course, a tattered red rose as tribute to the city of love....
The card edges have been distressed with weathered wood and then some Inka gold in gunmetal grey.

Have a great day, thanks for looking and take care!

21 comments:

  1. These are pretty Val, they will look pretty hanging on some Easter branches. Hugs T

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful, I love your gold paint, and the flowers are so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look gorgeous Valerie and glad you found them to finish them off. I especially like the lilac embellished one as the colour looks beautiful with the gold.
    Trying to craft here although very tired as the horrible British summertime started today and I've lost an hour.
    Hope your sore throat goes quickly and enjoy the rest of Sunday.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! Fliss, same here, one hour less sleep, but I made up for it by sleeping longer. Take it easy the next few days till you have got used to the time change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your golden eggs..Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous golden eggs and I love the grunge card, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Egg Post Very Descriptive and Fun!
    I have a smile from ear to ear or should I say from sentence to sentence! Thank You!
    Love your golden eggs too!
    Your Paris Post Theme Card is Fantastic.
    It looks like a framed art piece!
    And much thanks for entering the egg challenge. Hugs Tee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful eggs again - I still have the other ones you made for me, they come out year for year. Talk about good eggsamples, to use one of your puns!! Have a lovely day, Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, Valerie, are simply having toooo much fun. Love the eggs and the card. Paris! (sigh). I would love to see your supplies and your stash ... my mind boggles. hugs from Mexico, Donna ... take care of your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna, I think you could get through the sights of Paris - oh wonderful city! - quicker than through my supplies and stash....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grungy Paris card is darling! I love the images you used and the red rose is the perfect accent! Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello again and thank you for leaving such a nice comment on my blog! :) I didn't have an email address for you...so thought I could reach you this way! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those eggs and the card is totally cool! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your eggs are beautiful and I love your grungy Paris card.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty card!
    Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful eggs and Paris card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. pretty eggs, and like your inventive way to hold them. And that card is great...love the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't believe no-one has left a comment saying "Eggscellent" he he. And I thought you only had easter egg hunts for chocolate eggs, not half-finished painted ones! I enjoyed reading about your eggs-ploits with this project, Valerie, and the finished results look lovely, especially the one with the lilac flowers. Love the card too, and the birdhouse from yesterday. Nice to see you had lovely bright sunshine in that photo too. CoB

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paris is my fave I love the letters and the Eiffel tower just yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How clever to use the candlesticks. I love the lavender mixed with the gold - reminds me of pretty china.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, it is me again - twice in one day.
    I was linking up to the Altered Egg Challenge and visitng all the entries.
    What a rich look to your egg, really beautiful.
    Wishes
    Lynne M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.