Sunday 24 July 2011

Sunday and no sun again.

Hi everybody, hope you are all well rested. It's cold, grey, dismal and pouring with rain again....The great German Poet, Heinrich Heine - who was born here in Düsseldorf - wrote in one of his poems: *Unser Sommer ist nur ein grün angestrichener Winter....* - *Our summer is just a green painted winter....* He was soo right, nothing seems to have changed - weather wise - in the last 200 years!
Today is time for Sunday sketches over at Sophia's *Blue Chair Diary*. I didn't get round to sketching or painting much this week as I had a couple of days where I wasn't feeling so good, so I want to share from you 2 flower paintings from long past days. As much as I like flowers, I never really enjoyed painting them, but I tried! The second picture, painted with water colours, was one we had to paint directly without drawing first, the first one has been painted with oil.





Yesterday I made some tags for various challenges, but only got half as much done as I wanted, because I was permanently searching for all the things I tidied away in the course of the week; while they were all lying around on my work-space I had no problems finding them. It was just a little problematic to find a space to work on!
The first one is a Grungy one for *Grungy Monday* over at Studio L3 This time we had to use Grunge Paper or grunge board, using Tim Holtz's techniques
I made a tag out of embossed grunge board, distressed with Victorian velvet and Inca gold. To make a contrast I decorated the tag with a vintage scrap image, some ancient paper, Prima leaves and some flowers, combined with a TH Adage ticket and a grunge board flourish. I finished it off with a bow made from ribbon and string, to combine both styles again.

The second tag is for this week's challenge at Blog Challenge Garden, where Rebecca wants to see Butterflies this week. I made a simple tag, with a distressed and stamped background, a big flower and a sparkly white butterfly.


And the last tag is for the Dragon's dream TIO, who wants us to look to the skies this week. I used a mix of water colours and distress ink for the skies and grass etc. The eagle has been stamped with archival black and clear embossed, and is holding 2 red balloons in his beak. I wrote 2 sayings round the edges. You will have to turn your computer round if you want to read them! And there is a little gold fairy sitting on the fence, waiting to fly home....


So, I think was enough for today. Havea lovely day, take care and thanks a lot for visiting!

39 comments:

  1. so beautiful creations! The tags are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, I hope the weather brightens for you soon:0) Gorgeous makes today, love each and everyone but my favourite is the last tag. It's full of light and promise, stunning, Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val, love your tags and paintings! P is off to watch motor racing with the boys, and I am going to watch HP with the girls! Have a lovely Sunday, hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain Rain go away! You are not having much fun weather wise this summer. Art wise, you are doing much better. Great paintings from the past, and lovely tags from the present. The last one you did is very interesting ... love your little faery. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, vibrant summery coloursl I love all the detail you have included. That cottage looks idyllic. Thanks for dreaming along with us this week over on the TIO challenge.
    Wanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy! Some gorgeous tags, but thank you for dreaming with us at TIO - great take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool & windy here today but your flowers and tags have brought a touch of summer! Have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry val, think we've had the good weather here for the last few days, as been lovely...

    lovely paintings and tags, I still don't know how you find the energy to make such lovely stuff, well done...

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tags! I especially like the one with the Victorian a´scrap - this reminds me of the Poesiebücher of old.
    Sorry to hear that you did not yet receive the books from Lenna's swap. Hope they will reach you soon and all intact.
    Have a nice Sunday!
    Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous paintings..You know how I love a good flower bouquet.Nice tags too. Wish I could send u some sun its still over 100 degrees here. take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely paintings, Valerie! and those tags are FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like we have the same weather, although this weekend has been fabulous with sun and blue sky, back to gray tomorrow. your flower paintings are great and your tags are spectacular as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous bowls of flowers, love the selection of tags especially the sky one. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. you oil and water color paintings are both lovely,, its wonderful to be so talented to be able to achieve such beauty in two completly different mediums,, your tags are beautiful,, the one with the bird and balloons is so pretty!Glad to hear you're feeling better,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Val, lovely work as always! Been having a lazy day here, busy doing nothing and really enjoying it! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your paintings are divine and so beautiful especially the second one. Gorgeous tags , love the last one with the balloons makes my spirit soar.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just a Lovely paintings, Valerie! and those tags are gorgeus I love so much!!
    Thanks for your visit and the lovely word too!!!
    Kisses and huges from Brazil
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always enjoy seeing what you've been up to! Sorry the weather is not as nice as it should be...sending sunshine thoughts your way for an awesomely creative day! Love your blast from the past and your new challenge tags too! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear your not feeling well!
    Love the tag with the girl and fence. just adorable. and pretty flower painting as well.
    hope the sun comes out and shines on you soon!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. It may not feel like summer, you have given us a taste of summer with your art shares to day. Love your look to the skies tag especially thank you for sharing with us at Dragon's Dream TIO XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you are feeling better...I love the flowers - sort of impressionistic! The tags, my fav is the hawk with the balloons!!! Thanks for always stopping in and saying such nice things!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your artwork ~ You have been busy ~ thanks it is all so colorful and creative! ^_^


    New to Sketch Sunday ~ do hope you will come visit my blog Share the Creative Journey and A Creative Harbor ~ thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello. I popping in from Summer of Color and I must say I am so impressed with all the art you are making this summer. I wish I could make more. Loving your blog in so many different ways!

    ReplyDelete
  25. these are all so pretty! I envy you the cool weather! It's been in the upper 90's here all week! Have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your flowers are very lovely. I do hope you're feeling well by now. Take care of yourself and happy SS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your grungy monday tag. The scrap image is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. All so lovely! The tag for the challenge is just great!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your tag photography is amazing. You're able to get up so close so we can see all the detail and they're very well lit. What's your secret?
    All are lovely, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing your wonderful dream with us at TIO. I love your farmstead and the eagle and verse is very dramatic and thought provoking.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous! I absolutely love the last one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. My! You have been busy! The weather was glorious this weekend, hence why I am late going round to see the blogs for GM!! These realy are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The colors in the first painting are so vibrant and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love visiting your blog! Today's creation for the Dragon's Dream look to the skies has captivated me. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Valerie, all your pieces are wonderful! Your paintings look great, and your GM16 tag is just fabulous! I love how you combined all the pretty elements together into such a sweet collage, and your use of Grungeboard is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. All are gorgeous, but I love our TIO tag with the fairy waiting to fly home!! Thanks for sharing your dream. Love Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely paintings and super awesome tags!

    ReplyDelete
  38. beautiful color palette for these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.