Thursday 12 May 2011

Under the sea, play-day and what the postie brought....

Good morning everybody. Looks like nice weather again today, although the weather frogs have been promising us rain and storm. At the end of the day we will know if they were right!
Had a great day yesterday, just played all day, painting, crafting, reading; felt like a fish in water! Which reminds me, that I made a tag for the *Blog Challenge Garden*, theme *the deep*. At first I thought it was a silly theme, but then that lovely Beatle's Song *I want to be under the sea, in an octopus's garden in the shade* started going round in my head, and I was hooked. So, here it is:













I painted the background with turquoise metallic acrylic paint, drew some sea-weed with a felt tip, and added glass splitter as sand, and some shells and fishes I found in my decorations box. The skull was left over from halloween, and the blue fibres were in my stash, too. I wrote the opening of *Octopus's garden* round the edge, and that was it.
Then I want to show you some of the lovely things I have received this week from crafting buddies.
Lynne of *Adorn* sent me this beautiful notebook, tag, and home died lace in a wonderful shade of really hot pink, and the lace is so beautifully presented on a card and fixed with a decorated pin:




















The lovely Notebook is next to my lap-top, so I can write down all the challenges I want to do, or things I would like to buy etc. A very big improvement on my flying scraps of paper! Thanks Lynne!
Then I received the coasters from the Gingersnappers Art Coaster swap, which were rather battered as they arrived, but I have tried to fix them as well as I could. Here they are:
Made by Beverly

Made by Kate Burroughs
Made by Sharon Briss of Gingersnaps
Made by Chris Grabb.
Thanks to all four ladies who put so much work into their lovely coasters, and especially to Sharon, who organised and dispatched etc, a lot of work with so many participants!

And here is one more thing I made yesterday. It's a 6x6 canvas, coated with structure paste, then painted with gold acrylic and distressed with stazon timber brown. I used the dragonfly die cut and 4 of the inchies I showed yesterday, and an image from CI behind a TH fragment. The little chain has been made from broken jewelry scraps.
I am entering the canvas into the *Simon says stamp and show* challenge - anything goes.
Okay, this was only going to be a short post today, but it seems to have stretched a little! Have a great day, take care of yourselves, and thanks for visiting!

33 comments:

  1. Lovely things, Val! Love your new canvas, so pretty. Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh what lovely goodies you've received this week. Under the sea tag is great fun - especially the skull! Have a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work! Love the goodies you got! That tag would look good in my bathroom, just the right colour! ;) Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I like most!All the projects are great!Your tag,the canvas and all the goodies you have received!Lucky lady you are!
    Thank you for the comment and I'm looking forward for my precious gift!I'll send one to Marie if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex, How kind of you! of course you may send one to Marie, she is a lovely person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a great mail day yesterday! Don't you just love it. The butterfly you made with the little girl in the middle is gorgeous. All looking good .. have a really really good day, Valerie. NAP! hugs from Mexico, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots going on Val, and so much loveliness to share. I love lynn's work she is fabby at everything she makes I am lucky to have a piece or two of hers very lush. And the GSC swap your only just getting yours wow I have mine weeks but they are all lovely the tags are brill (have that tune in my head now lol) but the canvas is my fave so very yummy

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely creations, Valerie! So many lovely pieces of mail you recieved. Have a great day. Hope your weather man is wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure received some lovely things! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Valerie more beautifullness here every day is a pleasure to visit your beautiful gallery. Lovely, lovely gifts you received . Thank you for putting that terrible Beatles tune in my head will be singing that for the next few days I am sure. Your tag is crazy love the touch with the skull he has such a charming smile, the texture and fab images on the canvas are a treat and just love that warm yellow.I have to say I did mention to Alex how jealous I was of her win and she offered me a tag, I did decline as it was a prize but it seems like being such a lovey person that she is she is taking no notice of me ! aren't I the lucky one,

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. under the sea tag fabulous! great colours and that little skull inspired.

    then you share and arry of goodies you have been lucky enough to receive lucky girl each and ever one is gorgeous

    You End with a fabulous 6x6 canvas using some of those great papers and dies cuts from them you showed us yesterday. The finished canvas is stunning

    Trouble what to say love everything you do XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many fabulous projects!!! I love the canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pieces. The skull on the tag is great and your canvas is gorgeous. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valerie, you should give us tips on how to create in a short time. You make so many beautiful projects in one day. I spend hours on one small project. There has to be a trick to getting things done quickly. Care to share?

    I really like your canvas piece with the butterfly element.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Valerie! I agree with Carolyn how do you make so many beautiful things in 1 day?! Very Inspirational! I love your under the sea tag! And the little skull at the bottom of the sea is so cute! Always a pleasure to see what your creating! Hugs,Tee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi
    I love when I visit your Blog that you pack so much art into one post.
    The tag is fabuloud, capturing all that lurks in the deep but I have to tell you that the canvas has captured my heart with the beautiful image (is it a Crafty Individuals image?)
    I am glad you like the goodies I sent. The pink is "hot" isn't it? They say it is the colour for 2011 although my preference is for old, dusty pinks it can be fun it heat things up a little bit LOL.
    Wonderful coaster art.
    Wishes
    Lynne M

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful mail Valerie.
    Love your tag (great use of the skull!)and the canvas is outstanding.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW more lovely work val, I just love the water tag, love the colours, enjoy your coasters...

    keep up the good work...

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Val, been away for a few days, love all the things you have made in the meantime! I'll ring you at the weekend, Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous projects! Love the layers!

    So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my mixed-media paintings on my blog!
    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Superwoman...........loving your tag and canvas. Some great swops and some beautiful gifts. Enjoy your day, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your "under the sea" tag makes me smile...I looked at it and saw pretty fish, crabs and then...oooh...a skull! Hmmm...now was someone legitimately buried at sea or is there a darker side to this story?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooh, Rachel, I'm not tellin' tales!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you played along and didn't think it was silly anymore! :)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic pieces. All so detailed. Love the tag and canvas. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  26. loving all your texture... I just got a Sizzix big shot a few weeks ago.... and I am getting addicted!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what a fun and fabulous post! So much wonderful artwork to look at.... I love your tag and your canvas, both a so creative and pretty. And it's so nice to see all the goodies you've received - lucky girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, lots of gorgeous eye candy here! Your under the sea tag just tickled me. Love the colors and how you used the glass glitter for sand and included the skull - very cool! And I think your yellow canvas is sensational. So happy you joined in the fun with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love all the texture and adornments on your tag! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the Art on your blog and I love the five S idea, I'll have to remember that! I'm your newest follower and found you via Lenna. Have a great creative week! Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW more lovely work val, I just love the water tag, love the colours, enjoy your coasters... keep up the good work... maria xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.