Wednesday 11 May 2011

Inchies, birds and butterflies

Good morning every one! Its another sunny and really warm day here. No pneumatic drills either, the silence must have woken me! Our road looks rather better now, less pot holes, and all the man-hole covers have been fixed properly again, as some of them were rather loose. Yesterday I went to a friend and had a day out, playing cards, going for walks, chatting and eating, so I was really keen to get started on something when I got home.
I painted and stamped some more papers for making die cuts or backgrounds. The first one was painted with orange metallic acrylic paint, then sprayed with home made sprays (re-inkers, water and perfect pearls) before being heat dried, stamped with stazon black and cut up.

After painting, spraying and stamping

Close up....this shows the lovely metallic sheen from the perfect pearls.



....And some pics of the finished die cuts. I have just placed them onto white paper to show them, they will be used on projects in the coming days!


And then I used the small scraps to punch out:
some inchies....

some butterflies....
and some birds.















Fun and easy to make, and now I have a nice set of home made and unique embellies to use in my work. The second sheet is also finished, I will show the pics another day. But this is much cheaper than buying embellishments, and it is fun to make, so have a try! I use a good quality paper to work on, this gives the finished parts a real quality.

And before I fell into my bed, I made a card for the daughter of a friend, who is starting her own shop for fashion accessories in a few weeks. I am calling it *A dedicated follower of fashion*, and will put the sentiment on later when I have found my small alphas!
Here I have kept completely to blue tones, although the cameo looks rather greenish in this light. The dress form (TH) has also been die cut from some of my hand worked paper, and the background stamped with lace and flourishes, all in TH *faded jeans*.

And the last card for *Less is more* - white on white. Well, def, the last one for today!

The flowers have been quilled, the sentiment has been cut using felt. Sorry again for the fuzzy photo, my camera is really playing up!


Tomorrow I will show you some of the lovely things I have received in the post this week. Till then, thanks for looking, have a great day and take care of yourselves!

31 comments:

  1. Stunning Valerie! I love your hand decorated papers. Great card too - very appropriate for the occasion.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, your home made paper is great, lovely idea. I still have some of your birds in my room here! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then just to end the day a little quilling! My jaw is dropping each project is so different and each one is stunning! Glorious work my friend XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilling is great to do while watching TV, I always have a box of quilled bits and bobs on supply!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your handmade embellishment Val. As you say, cheaper and much more fun, and I would say so much nicer too :) Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. I love both your cards, and perfect title "Follower of Fashion" I'm sure she will be trilled! Your quilled card is also lovely. You're a lady of many many talents!
    Hugs
    Suzie xxxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valerie you were out all day and then you did all this ! That,s a weeks work for me , not only that they are gorgeous. To top if off quilling !,,,
    I,m depressed now . Love your backgrounds lovely colours. And your LIM card is heavenly

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a day! The papers are a very good idea -- I'm going to copy. Who's die cuts are the birds - both of them? Love your cards. I'm going to eventually get a couple of word die cuts, I think they are grand. Quilling?! Yes, you amaze me as well. What more would you like to know about 'remains of the day'? Drop me a note. hugs from Mexico, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, the sparrow (the big one) is from Sizzix, the little bird has been made with a Martha Stewart punch. The sparrow was the first large die I ever bought, and it is is, and probably always will be, an all time fave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Goodness you really have the WoW bit between your teeth this week Valerie... yet another submission. I love the sentiment on this one, those felt letters look amazing!
    Thanks so much once more.
    Chrissie
    Lay LIM
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some lovely projects from you and your LIM is just great

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your paper and embellishments are fabulous. I know you say it's easy to do, but really, if I tried it, it would just turn out as a big splodgy mess! Die form is gorgeous and a beautiful gift, and the quilling ..... do you ever sleep! Lol! Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your background paper is sooooo beautiful and the embellishments are wonderful! The two cards are superb, Valerie! You have had another creative productive day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Those look so incredible! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the birds!!!! Your pieces are fantastic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! You worked magic with the sprays and stamps...gorgeous. I'm drooling over the torso (Tee's giveaway..gotta check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Valerie, Blogger seems to have sorted itself out as far as my blog and those that I follow are concerned, so I have just had a nose at all your recent crafting and I have one word to say to you - WOW! Love your work, but your birds are gorgeous, as are your hand decorated papers and embellishments.

    Hugs, Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, wow, and wow! I love everything you created here and it's ingenious how you made the birds and butterflies! I love everything. And I wanted to tell you that every time I see your profile, I just think it's so cute the way you say "retired (thank God.)" I always smile when I see that!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous backgroun paper and embelishments Valerie, I love your card too.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been busy!! I love your backgrounds for the punches etc. Your WoW card is beautiful,Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Ladies. Cindy, after teaching for 35 years, you are VERY thankful to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Valerie
    A creative whirlwind to say the very least.
    The white card, again so elegant.
    The fashion card is a thoughtful and special card for this person.
    Then the backgrounds you created and all those shapes - wonderful use of every little piece.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous work and your LIM is super. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your paper are stunning, will have to try this sometime. Love your white card with the quilling. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello there Valerie, Gorgeous background you've made, it's stunning colours and stamping. I'm intrigued to see how you're going to use the the embellishments you made with it, don't forget to share:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. BEAUTIFUL! The backgrounds are awesome! Love the birds and butterflies! Thanks for sharing your link on Wednesday Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow you are definitely only happy when you are busy busy busy..........All projects are great and making your own papers is the only way to go. Look forward to seeing the results. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, you have done a lot. Love the colours, all so vibrant, and the die cuts are great! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful cards Valerie. the fashion one is just super. What punch/die did you use for the butterfly's/birds they came out beautifully

    love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those papers are fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow... love your painted background paper!
    Taking the paper and creating these die-cuts, clever & creative :]
    Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely fabulous background... love all you made from it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.