Wednesday 25 May 2011

A family album

Good morning you all!
Yesterday I was totally nerved that Blogger was having attitudes again and making it difficult, if not downright impossible, to leave a comment on other people’s blogs. So I decided to work on my album, which I did, for about 12 hours, and then it was finished….Actually I had wanted to do a little bit each day, but once I had got my teeth into it, I couldn’t stop. I may still do some work on it, but I think I will leave it as it is. I have kept the journaling to a minimum, just written names and dates etc by hand.



I did not want to cover the pages, so I distressed them with antique linen and Victorian velvet, and then stamped the background with my fave script and flourish stamps in Victorian velvet. I did not always use matting. I put some scraps of non-woven fibre material behind some of the pics, or used a paper lace doiley, or just adorned the photo with lace and flowers. I did not have a plan, I just worked each page as it came, so as not to make it too rigid. The photo of my Great Grandma Rachel has been decorated with 5 little baby heads, representing her 5 children and her many grandchildren, great grandchildren – my generation – and the three newer generations which have arrived in the meantime. Then I have put photos of my Mum and me, both taken when we were 9 years old, but 30 years apart. Her photo has been framed with pink lace – thanks Lynne! – as this was her all time favourite colour. I have kept the scrapbook just to these four generations; the next generation will have to make their own. This is just for me.

I had a fun day sorting, cutting, sticking and embellishing, and I think I am pleased with the results. And I can always alter things if something else occurs to me.

Well, that really was all I did yesterday! I did not swallow any pearls instead of pills, nothing strange happened and I even cleared my mess away when I was finished!
Have a good day you all, take care, and thanks for visiting!

30 comments:

  1. Perfect in every way, Valerie. You were driven to do all that work in one day. It's beautiful, and I think you will pick it up often and have a boo. You were GORGEOUS. :o) Thanks for letting us have a peak. Very enjoyable. Have a great day. hugs from Mexico, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie,
    Oh my gosh--how totally beautiful--and what a labor of love...it is a masterpiece, my friend!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies. BUT - Donna, what do you mean - *I WAS goreous* - I still am, just different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous Valerie and I love the simple background which is so pretty and shows off the vintage photos so well.
    Might have to steal this idea for some of my many vintage family photos!
    Thanks for your kind comment too and glad you persevered even with blogger problems.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie .. sorry you misunderstood. What i MEANT was you WERE gorgeous, however MORE GORGEOUS NOW! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, Donna, I can agree with that one!! How good you can't see me just now, you might want to change your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous (that refers to you ad the book, Lol). Thanks for sharing YOUR family album. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours you have chosen. They totally complement a bygone era. It is romantic and fun at the same time!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures, and you have made them into a wonderful album. I will tellmy Mum to look, see if she recognises some of them! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope Blogger lets me leave this comment.
    Gorgeous album Valerie - I love how you've kept it simple to let the photos tell the story. Great embellishments too.
    Hugs xx
    p.s. you're gorgeous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there Valerie, WOW it's finished! Sounds to me as if you had a really great day:0) The album turned out beautifully with magic in those pages, treasured memories and wonderful photographs. Have another great day today and Thank you for your kind comments:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Each one of these is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing work, Valerie, and always a privilege to see someone's family photos. Yes blogger was a pain yesterday, I found that if you sign in but don't click the box saying 'keep me signed in' it seems to help. CoB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Valerie! You, The Post & The Book! Hugs,Tee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! and your gorgeous sense of humor! Can't leave that out! Thank You for being you! Hugs,Tee

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is another terrific book Valerie and so special. Loving all the embellies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really neat project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a real pain Blogger is!!! All day yesterday and today it is hit and miss! All of these are just so gorgeous! Love your touches of lace, flowers and pretty embellishments! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL! I love your journals and books...they are always filled with such fun and amazing bits and pieces of gorgeous! Thanks for sharing over at the Wednesday Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pages! Love what you've done with those treasured photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is totally awesome, I must pick my jaw up from the floor! Your pages are each so unique and detailed, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi
    well being a bit selfish I have to say I am glad you didn't stop as this is quite stunning.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well your long session was worth the time you spent on these fabulous pages. All of them awesome and special. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful album of memories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great project Valerie. I hope this comments goes through because I haven't been able to leave comments on people's blogs. Great job and all about family. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my! This is spectacular! I love how you created your backgrounds and how you chose the photos and little personal touches makes for such a wonderful memory book!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Incredible...such beauty and such warmth. Love all the darling family photos! gerri :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your family album it rocks x

    ReplyDelete
  29. You make me laugh that was all you did yesterday 12 hours crafting !!!!!! shame on you. What a wonderful book choc full of nostalgia and beautiful images to cherish and to pass on.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing this at pages in time

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.