Thursday 24 February 2011

Memory Shrine - Altered Tin Box


I am entering this little box into the *Alter it Monthly* Challenge
The theme is to make a niche, altar, dream box or shrine. I have altered a tin box and made it into a little Memory Shrine, with pictures and artefacts pertaining to different generations of my family. The pictures of my great Aunt, my Mum with my older brothers and sisters long before I was ever thought of, and my husband as a small boy with his Grandmother have been mounted into TH fragments. I have added some pieces of old jewelry - a locket which belonged to my grandmother, a piece of a necklace from my Mum, and a brooch from my father's family, showing his grandfather on his wedding day. They are all just fragments which fit together into this little memory box.

The box started off life as a small tin box that I got filled with little goodies as a blog candy sometime back.

I have coated the outside with structure pastes in gold and pearl white, and sprinkled some gold glass glitter into it before it dried. The edges and raised parts have been inked with Archival crimson to give it more depth, before adding some random red gem stones to the lid. The inside has been lined with hand crafted red paper from India.


It was great fun to make, and to watch it developing. Thanks for looking and have a great day!

22 comments:

  1. Hi there.
    firstly, Welcome to alter it monthly :) and thank you for joining us.
    What a great tin. I am very partial to texture too.
    great nostalgic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fab idea for using old family pictures in crafting (something I love doing!) and the texture is fab. Well done and welcome to Alter it monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val I adore your altered shrine tin fab colours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Val - a real keepsake to treasure.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful altered tin! Love what you did on the lid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the inside, love the outside, LOVE the whole piece, Valerie! Absolutely stunning, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Valeries, this is really beautiful, both in the way it looks and what it is. I love the idea of making something like this, what a brilliant way of using your talents. I wish I had some old family photos like this (and a close family!). CoB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how beautiful. And such lovely memory items included such a precious little box it has become love it.

    love dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous little tin, and how wonderful that it is so personal to you and your family. A treasure indeed.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love shrines like this! How great to use your family photos and memories. That structure paste looks like a cool medium to use- had a great effect! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful and special memory box Valerie. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely box, Val, what a beautiful idea! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful project Val!It's amazing how some of are memories can fit in a tin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this, so pretty! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely tin val, with all your treasures in it, it's priceless, well done...

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is simply wonderful and im so grateful for your explanation on how you did it. i wish you very excellent healing and good spirits. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant memory box Val. Love it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. A terrific memory box especially the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fabulous! The outside just temps you to look in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous keepsake you have made. I love all the texture on the outside, although I have never heard of glass glitter before. Lovely to see so many new people joining in at Alter It Monthly.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful! That is so cool! Love the details and textures. Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.