Wednesday 3 December 2014

Collage and birds

Hi Everybody!

We had a very chilly day here with an icy wind, not really my cup of tea, but I suppose we have to take the weather as it comes!
I wrapped up very well for my walks, and enjoyed them in spite of the cold. 
I also had lots of feathered visitors today, which was fun for me. I bought a huge bucket of mixed bird seeds and treats at the Discounter's today, so it should be enough to keep them happy for the next few weeks!

I have another collage for Art Journal Journey,
I really enjoy making them. I made it on a large sheet of craft paper which I glued into my Giant Journal, this way I can do some machine stitching on it. It's a very grungy collage. I painted the background with gesso, and glued various ads from some old Sears and Roebuck catalogues onto it. I have a huge pile of these old papers, which are slowly disintegrating. I gave it another coat of diluted gesso. The huge '2' had already been stenciled onto it at some time, and I added the moon faces from Dina Wakley, and some numerals, stenciled with Viva rust. Then I added some strips of tissue tape, old linen and cardboard and machine stitched them. And I deliberately left the threads hanging, and didn't just forget to cut them off! I know not everybody is a fan of such grungy stuff, but I do love it.









I watched this bird sitting in the tree behind the garden for about half an hour. It is very large, and I have no idea what it is - does anybody know?


The jay was trying to hide behind the plants:


But I got him here:


The magpie was glaring at the jay, which was doing its best to eat everything - I wonder what it was thinking?


And this pretty fellow is very cheeky and chases all other birds, big or small, away from his balcony....



I met the Thrush down at the Rhine:


And the Woodpecker also got a large amount of the goodies!



Have a great day you all, take care,
and thanks a lot for coming by!

24 comments:

  1. Love your collage and pics, Valerie! Also like your new background on your blog. I'll bet it's a picture you took :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous page Valerie. Love all the different textures too, it makes it very interesting. Looks like a bird of prey maybe, love all the fantastic bird pictures. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. all about the birds today, lovely shots! And a beautiful collage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deiner Collage sieht man an das du eine Menge Spaß bei der Gestaltung hattest! Absolut cool und was es da zu entdecken gibt - klasse!!!
    Die Bilder deiner gefiederten Freunde sind toll - ist es nicht eine Freude sie zu beobachten? Da vergesse ich dann gern mal die Zeit :-) Ich wünsche dir einen schönen Mittwoch - hier hat es ganz leicht geschneit. Liebe Grüße, Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, grungy collage, love it, and I am fascinated that you ca present us with something different every day, That big bird looks like a bird of prey, perhaps a hawk? Geat photos today! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic collage with a really nice vintage theme running through it. Love that you left the ends of the cotton as a part of it.

    Great photographs with the wonderful close ups of the birds. Not sure I would dare to put out feeders as they are usually knocked to the ground by seagulls and crows. We did have a bird table and squirrels managed to run along the top of the fence to eat everything on that. Going to get some fat balls today just as a tester.

    Very cold and windy here and I wasn't brave enough to go for a walk yesterday so must venture out today

    Have a good day

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliantly designed collage once again....super colours as well..and i just adore those beautiful birds, you are lucky to be able to capture their beauty.
    aNNie xx
    {The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was für eine geniale Collage Valerie und so tolle Vögel sind das! Super!
    AJJ freut sich und is so stolz auf Dich♥♥♥
    Hab einen schönen Tag!

    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another stunning collage!!! Love the more neutral tones on this one! Fantastic bird photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. eine sehr schöne collage hast du gemacht,die vögel sind sooo süss und heute meine favoriten.
    mir gehts noch nicht besser,aber bald ist der arztermin und ich weiß bescheid was da los ist,das basteln lenkt mich einfach gut ab.
    wünsch dir einen schönen tag.

    GLg Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Das sieht man deiner tollen Collage auch an, dass es dir Spaß gemacht hat, einfach drauflos zu kleben. Ist super geworden.
    ... und grüß mir mal deine netten Vögel beim nächsten Spaziergang!
    LG Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some really great elements here. I like how you painted on top of the collage and your sewn strips of material add beautiful texture to the piece.
    Hugs & smiles,
    Teresa
    PS - I love you bird photographs. Little sweeties; I wish I could kiss them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the Queen of Collage Valerie and an excellent bird snapper! You're unidentified one is definitely a bird of prey, tho not sure what exactly. Love the robin pics. It's very cold here today and our birds are very hungry! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your birds are gorgeous!! I love your jay- so different than ours! And it's no wonder he is hiding- the first is some sort of Hawk or Kestrel and was probably looking for dinner amongst the others! Yikes!!
    Great collage- and although I have never commented- I enjoy each and every one of your posts Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to watch birds and the ones you have in your neighborhood are so amazing! Beautiful! Now that first bird really has a hooked beak - rather like a hawk don't you think? I have never seen a Jay look like this one - he sure is pretty! I love wood peckers. I have read that they don't get the red on the back of their heads until they are around a year old. We leave several dead trees up around here for the woodpeckers to feast on. We have a Pileated woodpecker here that is bigger than most squirrels - beautiful to see flying and when he tries to eat from one of my feeders, he is hysterical!
    I wish I could see your large art journal - heck, I wish I could live in your village!!!! I wonder if it is a possibility.
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sandy, wouldn't it be nice if you lived nearer and could pop over for a visit!

      Delete
  16. Love your zany collage Valerie and the bird photos are totally beautiful. Thank you for sharing on this bitter cold winters day. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes yes I am a fan of this grunge look, unsnipped threads and all!!!!! I love your spread very much indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your grungy page, its a fantastic collage where you see something new on each look. Super bird photos, I'm with the others on the bird of prey, perhaps a Sparrow Hawk we had one visit regularly a couple of winters ago.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eine wunderschöne Collage, da gibt es eine Menge zu entdecken. Der Einsatz der Gesichterschablone ist natürlich das Highlight :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this new collage, so vibrant and bold. You have most colorful birds. xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely grunge piece and the photos of the birds are stunning! Big hugs, ~Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.