Thursday 17 January 2013

Alpha Challenge & Altered Notebook

Hi you all! It's still very cold and icy here, it keeps snowing, and I am trying to keep warm! I am enjoying watching a family of magpies behaving like vultures eating all the food on my balcony. They get very annoyed if other birds come too near, and squawk and flap around; they keep me entertained!


At the Craft Barn there is an 'Alpha Challenge' running. The alpha this week is 'V', and we can alter dictionary pages or choose other means to show the alpha. I first thought of doing V for Valerie, but I was afraid people might think I am getting big headed, so chose V for Victoria - the Queen of England from 1837  till 1901. I made a collage, with a dictionary page - where she is mentioned - as background. I used different images of her, stamps - including the famous 'Penny Black -, a post box with her monogram, a Victorian lady and two stamped 'V' monograms. The one at the top was stamped into molten Utee extra thick EP, and the other one has been stamped onto a scrap of brown miri card, using a Tsukineko glue-pad and perfect pearls. The stamp is part of a beautiful set from LaBlanche.

I have photographed my page on my book of the Kings and Queens of England.











Here I have used a bought spiral-bound notebook from the discounter. I removed the covers, painted them with 2 coats of acrylics, and then crackled them- After that I did some random stamping in Stazon timber brown, and distressed the crackled finish with Inka Gold. The little girl has been printed onto transfer paper, ironed on to canvas, and cut out. I gave the cover 2 coats of clear varnish.


This is the inside cover with an ex libris


The little cutie close up


The back cover


Inside the back cover



So, that was it for today! Have a good day / good night as the case may be, take care, and thanks for coming by!


33 comments:

  1. You amaze me, Valerie! Finding all these bits and bobs on hand no less and creating something as gorgeous as this! I might have been able to do it before I left Canada - but not anymore. I miss my stuff!!!!! Absolutely beautiful, Valerie. xodonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautifully crafted page! Your front and back covers are just as wonderful! This will be a great alpha book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great images on your beautiful alpha page and I love your covers.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Victoria page and all of it's details and that little book cove transformation is amazing!!! You's so very talented my friend♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been very productive today! Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these are gorgeous! I love your Alpha page, so much detail. The journal is very cool, I love the traces of other people in the image too. You are a genious and the photo outside the window is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Valerie, your book is amazing, I love your crackling - I'm always a bit hit and miss with crackling lol. Victoria looks very regal (but definitely NOT amused) Enjoy watching your Magpies :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fantastic work, Val. Love the collage, and the notebook is unbelievable! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you have really gone to town on the alpha page and I love it-so much work and things you found.

    Can't imagine how your crackle works so well as it is something I can't seem to get to grips with. The little notebook is a real tresure.

    Have a great day--it is very cold, icy and snowy for me as well so I will be thinking of you.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Valerie

    What a beautiful page about Queen Victoria... and I love your book covers, the litle girl is so sweet and I LOVE the crackle glaze effect too.

    Keep warm.... just going to check the forecast to see if we are meant to be getting any snow.... !

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new year is over two weeks old, but I still wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy New Year!

    Your creations are gorgeous, Valerie!
    Great job!

    Greetings from the cold and snowy Germany.

    Gaby xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Valerie
    Such a wonderful altered book... I LOVE IT!! :]
    Beautiful indeed... "WOW!" I really like your collage piece, the crackle painted front & back cover, and all the in-between.
    Great work. ~xx
    This will be a wonderful book to treasure. :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of interesting elements on your alpha page.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great challenge and you tackled it perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful collage and journal, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely page Valerie great images of Queen Victoria, your frosty photo was exactly the view we had yesterday it is not so frosty today snow forcast for tomorrow lots of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful, thoughtful collage Valerie, I love it. Your notebook covers are to die for too, superbly crafted my lovely.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I fell in love with your collage. Great idea!

    Thank you for joining the challenge at Craftbarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic Victoria page, love all the details and images.
    Its a great cover on the spiral book as well.
    Stay warm and safe.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning collage work, great start
    Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  21. No-one could ever accuse you of being big headed Valerie, quite the opposite! Your Victoria collage and altered book are fabulous. You've obviously been having great fun, UTEEing, stamping and crackling! Stay cozy. TTFN. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving your pages and the great covers. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What's better than free entertainment on your balcony? I really love all the texture on the covers! Queen Victoria would have loved her page!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Boy does it look cold there with all that snow. I could just look at your collage work all day. Beautiful work my friend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous collage Valerie !
    hugs Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your snowy picture, but it certainly looks cold! I so love how you put these all together with such great details. I often wonder why they seldom smiled back in those days. I have old family photos and no one ever looked happy! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! Your page is really stunning Valerie :D Your cover is looking fabulous too! Thank you for joining us over at The Craft Barn x

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow, you are so creative.well done. looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  29. Totally stunning page, love all your collage pieces and your book covers are just fabulous, look forward to seeing more of your book

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous collage work and lovely pages, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing collage and love the notebook.
    It has been snowing since early afternoon and continues yet.
    Wishes
    Lynne
    P.S. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the Victoria theme and the covers are great.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Visiting from the Alpha challenge - your collage is simply wonderful and I love what you have done with the notebook covers. It is obvious that such a lot of work has gone into all this. I look forward to seeing what else you do :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.