Thursday 9 August 2012

Some Marble Creations

Today I want to show you the two mini books and altered matchbox cases that I made with some of the marbled papers from the day before. Someone asked yesterday which colours I used. I didn't have enough ready made marbling colours, so I thinned down some oil paints, which worked quite well. I fill them into dropper bottles - from medicine, for example.  I think the marbling colours you can buy might smell a bit less pungent! (I always save those little bottles anyway, for poison bottles for Halloween)

The inside of the boxes has been painted with Viva metallic, the first one in lilac and the second one in purple. I cut a strip here to fit round the matchbox, and glued it down.


The mini book has been made from a strip of designer paper, with scraps of the marble paper for the covers. I added some gem stones to the front cover. I added another scrap of marble paper to the front of the 'drawer', and a TH hitch fastener as knob.


The plain side of the paper has been stamped and given a hand-written quote about time.



The strip of paper for the second box was narrower, so I painted the ends first with purple paint before fixing the marble paper. The 'drawer' was made the same as the first one.


The book has been made from a strip of scrap paper. I used mini prints of some of my paintings for 2 sides, and added a quote on the others. The end papers have been made from sequin waste with a star pattern.




I had fun making these little pieces, and tomorrow I will share some more creations I made with the marble paper. I am linking to Simon Says Stamp and Show, where the theme this week is  'Paint it Up'.
Here's wishing you all a great day. Get messy, have fun and thanks for visiting!

23 comments:

  1. Wow, these are just gorgeous, those books are real little jewels now, so exclusive! Glad you had fun making them! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you have used the samples you made :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!
    It just gets better& better... you are so creative, Valerie. :]
    These drawers are a fantastic art project.
    Oh and the tiny knob, very clever!!
    Love it, love it all. ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - these are in the 'snatchable' department. so if they go missing you will know where to look. love the marble paper. hugs. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work Valerie! Totally agree with Donna...lol!
    I really, really love the marbling - such rich colours.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the marbling affect, Valerie! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome! I love that marbled paper and the sentiments inside are wonderful too! I just learned something new too. I thought "sequin waste" was just the name of a stamp that looked like honeycomb, I see yours is dimensional, which looks very, very cool! I also noticed how you shrunk down some of your paintings for the insides too. Such clever ideas, they really are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours are just gorgeous Valerie and I love the wee books. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous, Val! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so totally awesome!!! Love your marbling papers :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you did have fun making these.... they're incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooeeee, I really like your marbled paper... the colors, textures and end products!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I have to try thinning down some oil paint & try to make my own paper...the list of things to try is getting longer and longer! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful little pieces. I love the marbling effect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic projects, love the folding inserts as well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow val, love the effect of the marbling, well done, I love your book and boxs, fab...

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great project. I just love the way that paper that you created looks. Its perfect for this project.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! I love the marbled effect and those colors blend so well together! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Val
    wow love your creations today. I wasn't around for yesterdays post so must take a peek at the marlbling technique. Very clever to put your artwork shrunk down inside the books. love those matchboxes, they are so much fun to alter.
    Take care and happy creating.
    Lesley♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. All totally beautiful....

    The marbling is wonderful... I love all the quotes you have used for your books. Inspiring idea with the sequin waste!!!

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  21. That match box is so wee and beautiful, this marbled effect is amazing and no two pieces will ever bee the same....fabulous !

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are fantastic too. I really need to try this...yours are so inspirational! t/c, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! This is so inspiring, and your colors and marbled effects are AMAZING!! Love this, want to try more of this kind of look in my own projects. Thank you so much for sharing and joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.