Friday 17 August 2012

Cissie in South Africa and PPF

It's Friday again, and that means it's time for Paint Party Friday, hosted as always by Eva and Kristin, and Darcy's Postcard Challenge, where our participants are off to South Africa.

Jason and Shannon are still on Malta, enjoying their honeymoon. Queenie now has her flat and shop in Lewisham finished, and will opening up once the *Kids* are back. She has decided to sell a mix of vintage clothes, sorted according to the decades they come from, and bric-a-brac and accessories. Cissie and Thelma have got themselves sorted out in their ‘flat-share’, and are happy. They have been busy eating all the leftovers from the reception, and Thelma has had her tooth repaired. They are off to Capetown for a week, and will be returning on time to get everything ready for the newly weds before they return. They are travelling with a local women's group they belong to, and are rather concerned when they see that they are only allowed one case each. But they do have very large cases….
After a long, but happy flight they arrive in Capetown, and travel to their hotel, a beautiful lodge near the water front, which used to be a prison back in the 19th century. But inside it has been transformed into a very luxurious hotel, so all the ladies are satisfied.

The food is good, and very plentiful, with masses of wonderful meat dishes, which Cissie and Thelma enjoy.

They visit the market, and enjoy bargaining with the stall holders, and buy souvenirs to take home, convinced they have made good bargains.

Cissie is ogled by all the men they meet, especially when she wears her tight fitting animal-print dress, or the skirt with the slit almost up to her doo-dah. Thelma feels rather jealous, and hisses, ‘If I were you, I would buy my clothes a size bigger!’ Cissie replies calmly, ‘If you were me, you wouldn’t want or need to!’
The waiter at the hotel nearly falls over his own feet in the effort to serve them, especially Cissie, as many portions as they want. Cissie often gets poisonous looks from the other ladies as she is always served first. But this is not something that Cissie notices.
They have a memorable coach tour to the Kariega Game reserve and the West Cape national parks, and are delighted with all they get to see.


And on their last night, they visit a Zulu Village and join in a festival meal and watch the dances.



 And Cissie, of course, joins in…. All in all, a wonderful holiday to remember.
This is the card they send home:



Sorry that the photo of Cissie is a bit blurred, she danced so quickly that Thelma had problems to get a good shot!

On the flight back home, Cissie says, ‘You know Thelma, we really needed that holiday after all the stress we’ve had lately.’ ‘Yes, and it was good to have some decent meals instead of eating all those leftovers!’ replies Thelma. ‘But I do fancy some fish and chips again!’



For PPF I have been playing with my head(s) again. I used acrylic and metallic paints in blues and greens, with a touch of gold, scraped on diagonally with a credit card. I used my template to cut out the head, and placed an old magazine cut out, showing the watery origins of life, behind it. I added a bit of stamping, doodling, some collaged images, and the first verse from Psalm 130: 'Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice'.





And this is the other 'head-case' picture, which I showed here yesterday- It has been painted on canvas using a mix of water-colours, sprays, and some blobs of gold ink.


So, I think that was enough for today. Have a good day you all, take care, and thanks for visiting!




50 comments:

  1. Great story, love Cissie dancing, and the heads are great too! Have a fun day, hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos and story. So informative, I love the postcard, and your heads are great. I love the first one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, the paper you used for your head on the new sea picture today is fantastic visually it attracts you and knowing that the images represent just gives it so much more!

    Chrissie and Thelma clearly had a wonderful time South Africa is the perfect place for them food is so important to folks there LOL Fish and Chips Friday yum. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always produce some fab photos to go with your postcard adventures, love them. Smashing under the sea mixed media collage Valerie, x

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I would like to say how much I enjoyed last weeks wedding episode, Shannon looked so happy:D and your mini books are divine!!!
    This week I aim to emulate Cissie, as I am off to a Caribbean party tonight. Great image of Cissie dancing with the tribesmen :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, enjoy your party, be good, and if you can't be good, be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. another great post, a good story again, you have some wonderful ideas. great card and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous underwater silhouette! Great postcard, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super story and a lovely shot of Cissie. Will there be some fireworks between them later? Your heads are wonderful, especially the underwater scene.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was sooooo, good, so funny, and your work is just amazing as always, I laughed so hard, doodah!!!!Thats so funny, best keep the doodah covered, lol!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, you took me home! Beautiful, beautiful Cape Town with all it's culinary and cultural richness. Cissie joining Zulu dance is the best:-) I am glad though that she did not decide to put on their traditional attire (or lack thereof;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a dear friend who came from Capetown, and she used to get stars in her eyes when she spoke about her home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well at least Cissie burned off a few calories doing her zulu dance! A place I'd love to visit. A fabulous underwater head today Valerie. Have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely watery images for PPF today. I enjoyed your tour of South Africa, the food looks interesting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cissie dancing is such a hoot! Loved the postcard and the gorgeous photos. Also, I love the heads art. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You just never know what those ladies will get up to next!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great story for friday! And i love the watery theme snd quote for your second prooject

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a truly fabulous post today! I love the post card with Cissie dancing in her dress slit all the way up to her doo-dah, lol! The fish and chips of course has made my mouth water and the beautiful Capetown scenery. Your 2 heads are totally awesome, I love how you placed the watery origins of life inside, they are totally captivating! As I said a n outstanding post today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great story, post card and delightful mixed media piece ~ Wonderful creations ~ ( A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Off on my armchair travels once again - fabulous as always Valerie and you had me lol at the thought of them wanting some fish and chips. Have to say those chips look so good (not the fish - I am a strict vegetarian!).
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the head with the watery origins... great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As I am reading about Cissie's attire, tight fitting animal prints and all, I could not wait to see the final result! What great fun to see her dancing with the natives! Now I am wanting fish and chips! Great background painting for the head, which that magazine page works so well! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Valerie. Love the silhouettes. Well done. I'm doing hands right now in my journal, but I do like the idea of doing heads. So they are still on honeymoon, well that's very nice, your stories are always entertaining. Great job on your pieces. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing the lot of fantastic photos.Yummy fish and chips, I'm just hungry:-)Love your handpainted creations too!
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post Valerie.... I am enjoying the post card stories. Great fun with your heads again!

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your heads, they look amazing.
    Cissie and Thelma are a right pair, they have a real love of Life, its a great dress she was wearing.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  27. My you have been a busy bee while I've been away love the mini books and your heads :)
    Have a great weekend
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. love seeing Cissie shake her booty with the dancers! I think your paintings are beautiful. Great colors. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just love your new blog background my dear. Wonderful story and projects. Your head is beautiful. LOL. LOve all your journaling pages and painting. take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the metalic blues and greens and golds you're using!
    Marvelous!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ahhh.. Another great post. I love reading your stories. Your heads look great on that background..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such an exciting trip they are on...what sights and sounds and tastes and experiences! Love the card sent home and all the art below it! Thanks for sharing and telling all. You know I love a good story. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great photos, what a fantastic story!! :]
    The fish & chips, make me hungry. (LOL)
    Lovely artwork, Valerie! ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well, thanks for the laugh, the lovely photos and the great paintings! Your blog is always worth a visit! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  35. I wouldn't mind the adventure they are on. Beautiful photographs - and your heads - I think these are the best ever. xoDonna

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great adventures today! Love the part about her opening a vintage clothing store! You certainly have created quite a tale here that keeps me curious about what these quirky characters will do next!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very interesting combination. Your post was humorous and your artwork very spiritual. I love it! Happy PPF. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like seeing how you used the templates in different pieces. Your colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow...kinda reminded me of a tv drama. So much going on. What an imagination and wonderful art you have!

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's so much fun to read what Cissie and Thelma have got up to each week, and imagine Cissie's clothes and the admiring (she thinks) stares that follow her.

    Love the swiped backgrounds on the new paintings, it's a great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is so funny, love your drawings. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Valerie. Theres my girls back to the fish and chips! lol! fab post. Wonderful artwork.
    Regards Florence xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Once again a great story ! (you always add so more history of the country to it) Love all the photos

    ReplyDelete
  44. I know this is going to sound awful but the photo I love the most is the fish and chips !! sorry but am on a diet and of course living here in Greece you just cant get them ,to be honest didn't each much of it when I lived in London but I'm starving and they look yummy . Your works not bad either but the smell of vinegar is overpowering


    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  45. lol those girls are gonna go pop one of these days. I loved her dancing though.

    ReplyDelete
  46. P.S got your emails, will post out to you as soon as I can. x

    ReplyDelete
  47. The pictures of Africa are wonderful, I enjoyed them. Your water paintings are unique and tell a story. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  48. You had me laughing again at Cissie's antics! Great episode!

    The painting is wonderful...such gorgeous colours.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sorry I am so late coming round to look this week. Great story as ever and still chuckling at the thought of Cissie dancing up a blur! Super heads.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.