Sunday 30 September 2012

Altered bottles - Hatters' Challenge


Hi you all! Hope you are all enjoying your weekend, whatever you are up to. Here we are having some chilly, but pleasant Autumn weather, so perhaps I will go for a walk later.  The challenge over at 'Out of a Hat' this week is to alter a bottle or a jar. The DT there made some wonderful examples to inspire us. I have used a bottle which already had a hole cut in the back of it, which I made use of. I covered the bottle with mid-podge and mulberry paper. I made holes in the cork to take the wires of the birds - bought from a floristic shop - and added a sunflower on top for the birds to pick at. My birds are not as nice as Florence's floating bee-swarm, but I pinched the idea from her. I tied different ribbons, beads and embellishments round the top, and let them hang down over the bottle. I used a mini set of Xmas lights, which I pushed carefully into the bottle, tried it out - and it works! So now I have an Autumn light bottle.



The second bottle is more dark than light, but is a welcome addition to my Halloween decorations.  The bottle once held cough-drops. I used a label from my stash, and a skeleton which had unfortunately lost it arms to another altered bottle. I wrapped it up in some fashionable tatty grey cheesecloth, and manged to find a little roll of foam to make the bridge between the bottle and the butt of the skeleton. Don't ask for details, use your imagination!! I gave him/her/it some googly eyes, and a flying bat as head-wear over the silver curls. Added a dead rat and a toadstool, and that was it. Sorry about the rather blurry photo, he/she/it wouldn't keep still!




Here's wishing you all a great day! Take care, and thanks a lot for coming by! 

33 comments:

  1. What a great contrast programme - the beautiful lamp and the hag on the bottle! Greta work! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Fabulous altered bottles, I just love the autumn glow so pretty but those Halloween makes are excellent. Thanks so much for joining us and sharing with us at Out of A Hat. hugs Sandra X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fantastic altered bottles,love them both.Congratulations on winning the Halloween stamps from Tracy.
    Thanks for joining us at Out of a Hat.
    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  4. great bottles with all their decorations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! You have been busy and all of the bottles are just fantastic :) Love the idea of the lights inside the bottle.

    Thank you for joining in our challenge at Out of a Hat Creations

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you've given me a laugh this morning Valerie, Mr Skeleton with his googly eyes, he's fab and your autumnal bottle is so pretty. Have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it gave you a laugh, I had a lot of laughs making it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! These are all absolutely amazing, each of them unique and gorgeous in there own way, love them all
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning work Valerie you sure had fun making them :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing bottles Valerie.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic bottles Valerie, love the first one with the light shining through and what can I say about the Halloween bottle....just totally FAB....made me smile loving the skeleton hanging on at the topgreat for Halloween!
    Thanks for sharing
    Maggie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great way to show off a bottle! I love this.
    your bat and skeleton are too cute. love the grey muslin
    enjoy the autumn weather....hugs from me!
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh MY! Both bottles are quite incredible, Valerie! I think you will enjoy your bottle with the lights in it. What a super idea. Your Halloween bottle made me laugh out loud. How fabulous. It will serve you well for the haunting season. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two totally different bottles and both beautifully created, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fab idea val and what fab bottles well done... they looked a fun project to do...

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Autumn glow is so warming, just gorgeous and then your Hallowe'en which is such fun - both have the WOW factor.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous Valerie! The autumn bottle is gorgeous and the halloween bottle just tickles me to bits! Just the sort of ooky spookiness I adore! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what fun!!!! I love the bottles with the lights in them... they look amazing... the skeleton on the arsenic bottle made me smile!!! I love his googly eyes and the bat on his skull!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! LOVE THEM...so magical and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your altered bottles, you are so good at 'altering' anything!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fabulous! You are the queen of repurposing. Love how these turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are both just awesome! I think the first one is so neat with the lights inside!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brill altered bottles. I love the lights in the orange one. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ha ha ha! I love the spooky bottle, your skeleton has such a wild expression on his face and you posed him perfectly! I am totally in love with the dead rat at the bottom of the bottle! This made my day! Your Autumnal bottle light is beautiful too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Valerie. Love both of these. What fantastic ideas. Love how you have used the lights in the first one and the birds of so pretty. I am flattered that you liked my bees. I have just spotted the rat on the second. Fabulous Halloween project. Thank you so much for sharing with the Hatters again.
    Have a wonderful creative week.
    Hugs, Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh your altered bottles are soooo cool Valerie!....You have done a wonderful job altering them ...Love the autumn light one...and the second one is spookilicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving your altered spooky bottle, such fun, x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Wow! These bottles are too fun! What a talent you are! Love that you added those wiggly eyes! Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my stars are these fabulous or what. I love what you have done here..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh how I laughed at the second bottle, the expression on what is left of the skeleton face is priceless !! looks a bit like someone put him there against his will if you know what I mean lol ! So many ghoulish details here fabulous. The first one is so pretty and love the birdies the lights and the Mulberry paper look fabulous.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Marie, how would you feel if someone stuffed a roll of foam up your butt and stuck you on a bottle?! That def. explains the expression!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.