Thursday 10 November 2011

Thursday already.....

Well, the postman came again yesterday, and brought me something - a bill! I suppose it would be too much to expect nice surprises every day! But I had a good day anyway. My friend B came with her little dog, and we had a crafty day. Well, the dog just watched, she hasn't started crafting yet! We were busy with an Advent Calendar for her Mom, we made her one last year, which she liked very much, so we decided to make another one. We used a Sizzix die to cut 24 envelopes from different, coordinating papers, and then glued them together, put numbers on them, and made the tags to go inside. The tags have to be decorated, and we each make 12 with quotes and / or vouchers and little treats to go in the envelopes. When it's finished, we mount them all on a wall hanging, and then the surprise will be finished.
Here are 3 of the envelopes to give you an idea.


And after B had gone home, I finished my journal pages that I started yesterday morning. I painted the pages with gesso, and then used a wide brush to slop on two different blues, some white and some yellow. When it was dry I started drawing some stars, and they somehow turned into sea-stars, so after doodling them, I put in the rest of the under-water scenery, using water colour pencils, vintage scrap, and some cut-outs. The text has been printed onto acetate. I used *Ariel's Song* from the Tempest, as it is a poem I like very much. And I wrote a Beatles verse along the side - *I want to be, under the sea, in an octopus's garden in the shade*; The Beatles and Shakespeare go well together. It was great fun to make, and I am always astonished that I start off with a brush and some colours and it just turns into something without being planned. I am linking again to AEDM at Creative every day




And I got another good joke from Narda. Here it is:

This is the story of the poor blonde flying in a two-seater airplane with just the pilot.
He has a heart attack and dies. She frantically calls a May Day:

"May Day! May Day! Help me! Help me! My pilot had a heart attack and is dead. And I don't know how to fly. Help me! Please help me!"

All of a sudden she hears a voice over the radio saying:

"The is ATC. I have received your message and I will talk you through it. I've had a lot of experience with this kind of problem. Now, just relax. Everything will be fine! Now give me your height and position."

She says, "I'm 5'4" and I'm in the front seat."
O.K." says the voice from the tower. "Repeat after me: Our Father. . . Who art in Heaven. . . .."


Have a good day you all, take care, and thanks for visiting!


26 comments:

  1. Morning Valerie. I can see where you are going with the advent calendar. Brilliant idea. Really love the journal pages. Now who would have thought to put Shakespeare and the Beatles together! Off to catch up with your creations. I have missed reading your blog this week.
    Have a lovely day.
    Regards Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your underwater pages and your quote mix! Enjoy your day, Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to read how your pages evolve Valerie and I LOVE those starfish. Super idea with the advent calendar too. Happy Thursday! Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your journal pages, the colours and starfish are beautiful.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your idea of the advent calendar and your new pages are great....... mmmmm I wonder what Caliban would have thought of this.....lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journal is turning into a real 'piece of work' ha ha. I love all the 'drippy' colours you have been using these last few pages and no doubt Shakespeare would have been proud to be on the same page as the Beatles. The starfish really are incredible. The advent calendar is very clever - the envelopes are beautiful - can't wait to see it finished. What are you up to today I wonder. Have a good one. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of the advent calendar, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good laught to start the day :)
    Lovely undersea pages too
    Von x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ROFL @ joke..great start to the day!
    Shame on your postman for bringing you a bill...:(
    Love the advent calendar idea and your journal pages are wonderful.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED your under the sea pages- so creative AND gorgeous, just beautiful!
    And thanks for the joke, I needed the the smile!
    Have a great day,
    xo
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your journal pages Valerie! Love the sea, since I'm right on the Atlantic! Gorgeous colours and sea creatures! Your sampling of your advent calendar looks fabulous! Great project!
    Have a good and creative weekend!
    Debbie
    ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm feeling the same way...where does the week go! Love the sea creatures! Always beautiful and fun work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous unger water pages, love the sea animals, I had a good laugh at the poem and my OH had a chckle as well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shakespeare and The Beatles DO go well together, brilliantly done!

    The advent calendar is a lovely idea and fun to make with a friend.

    Ha ha, funny joke!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your journal pages again, they are really pretty! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those starfish Val and the streak of yellow is gorgeous! I wish I could do that! Tell Narda thanks for the joke!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are having such fun with the journal pages these days! Wonderful! And those are some fun lil envelopes. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely journal pages today and what a great idea the advent calendar is. Funny joke, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Valerie, I needed that laugh after my car fiasco today, again.
    I love the advent calendar idea, will you be posting the finished piece? please, pretty please??? and love the free flow of the journal pages.
    Thanks for dropping by.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your journal pages, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea for an advent calendar!
    Beautiful underwater journal pages!!
    hugs,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful journal pages Valerie! and what a great idea for an advent calender! thank you for your comment :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. love your underwater pages XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah we get lots of those nasty bills too. Great work x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh what a pretty advent calendar it will be! cant wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha ha! Good joke!!!!

    I think your advent calendar is a great idea...

    I loved reading how you created your journal pages.... happy combo of the Beatles and Shakespeare.

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.