Sunday 23 October 2011

Cold and sunny Sunday

It's another clear, windy and cold day here, after a very frosty night, and I have been watching the sunrise, something I never tire of. I wonder what it is that fascinates us all so much with sunrise and sunset?

Yesterday I worked on an altered box for the Just For Fun challenge, which was to alter something from the bedroom or sewing box. I found a rather battered square box with a nasty, water-stained blue covering. I covered the outside with scraps of some ancient books and some music sheets which have been decaying in my cupboards for years. I can't bear to throw them away, so I am using them bit by bit for different projects. I used mod-podge to fix the scraps, and then gave it a coat of diluted gesso after it had dried. The lovely, art-nouveau paper with the lyres which I used for the lining was an end paper from a music book from 1900. I have also mod-podged the inside, so that it will withstand some wear-and-tear. I covered the edges with TH tissue tape, and rubbed round them afterwards with some inka-gold. I painted the rim round the base of the box with gold-bronze paint. I have glued a tiny magnet into the front of the box and under the lining of the lid, and put a gold button on just for decoration. The top has been decorated with a paper-lace doiley cut into four, some paper daisies and a picture of Mona Lisa, with a metal frame. I will be using the box to store my *best* buttons - the mother of pearl ones.




Apart from that, I spent the rest of the day with my feet up, reading, drinking coffee & nibbling biscuits. In the evening I re-watched a DVD, *Nirgendwo in Afrika* (Nowhere in Africa) based on the novel by Stefanie Zweig. I love the book and the film, so it was a pleasant way to pass the time.

Hope you all have a good Sunday, whatever you are up to. Be good; if you can't be good, be careful, and thanks a lot for stopping by!



33 comments:

  1. This is lovely Valerie, the lining paper is gorgeous. Have a great day. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. From trash to treasure as they say. Beautiful paper on the inside, Valerie. Your mother of pearl buttons are very spoiled and will adore their new home. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Val, the box looks really beautiful now! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful altered box!

    I live in the middle of the forest so trees obscure my view of sunrises and sunsets but I do love watching them every chance I get. I think it's the colors. Just a couple of weeks ago I've seen this amazing sunset when I was driving home. It was pink and turning to reds and purples and all sorts of colors. It was amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really beautiful altered box Valerie. Love the decoration and tissue tape edging with the gorgeous paper.
    We have similar weather here although the sky was very rosy this morning at dawn.
    Off now as I've just found I've got ahead of myself DT work wise and have done next week by mistake so now off to do the right thing! Doh!
    Have a lovely Sunday.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's given it a new lease of life Valerie a great piece of up cycling from your boudoir and thank you for joining us this week at JFF
    Von xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this box-so many nice things about it

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    What a stunning box. I love every aspect of it.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Valerie. Brilliant make over. The inside is as beautiful as the outside.
    Regards Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  10. how cool! LOVING your new blog look! And your box is just lovely, I especially like the music paper around the edges...so great that your creativity can be used on all sorts of goodies :)
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your altered box, Valerie! As usual, I've missed some of your lovely creations. Just starting to get up and running again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, an awesome alteration, its fabulous. yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful box, Valerie! the lining is soo pretty!! hope you're enjoying the weekend :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's a beautiful box, inside and out. And good question ... about sunrise and sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have made a gorgeous box I love all the detail both inside and outside. Hugs Sandra XX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful in every detail Val! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I love your altered box Val. Really hope your run of accidents is on the wane now. Just been catching up with last week's blog posts. Love all the work you've been putting up. Sorry I haven't replied to each one, it's a bit painful to spend long on the PC atm. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully recycled box and wonderful way to use your papers. Perfect for your precious buttons. Thank you for sharing with us at Just for Fun XOXO

    Hope Sunday has been as relaxing as Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is beautiful Valerie, I love your lining paper. Your buttons will be lying very grandly in this x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great project.... lovely and useful too:)

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous altered box, but that is a given! We have been cool in the morning, but warming in the afternoon! I do like this time of year! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovin' your posh new button box! Looks like you've been having fun. I like the idea of sitting with my feet up, reading, drinking coffee and nibbling biscuits, *sigh*!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wait till you're retired Jo - sooner or later the pleasures of old age will arrive at your doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is absolutely adorable-makes me think of Spring already!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful! Love the flowers and texture on top. Sounds like you had a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely box today. Love yr new b;og header to. So scary...take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful box you made! That's good you were able to save some of the music sheets and use them for other projects!
    hugs,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is absolutely stunning
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your beautiful new box a buttons paradise `i would say and the paper inside the box is just delicious.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  30. A fabulous altered box Valerie, I love the paper inside.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.