Saturday 4 June 2011

A painting, an altered canvas and something to laugh over....

Yesterday I had another restless day, which means I just keep busy, working on my projects, painting, which calms me down, tidying drawes and boxes, which gives me some structure to hold on to. And I slept for the first time this week, right though the night, 8 hours in one stretch, and that is something I am very thankful for. I think I must have dreamt about my sister Cynthia, who died 11 years ago, because I was thinking of her, and a dress she once gave me, as I woke up. But it must have been a pleasant dream, as there was just this nice memory .
So Good morning you all! It's another hot and sunny day here, I think it will be a balcony day....
Yesterday I was busy painting, and made a picture similar to the one from yesterday, and a canvas. First the picture, which has been painted in tempera colours again, a mixed media piece, and I even like it myself.




















I think I like the colours better than yesterday, they have more warmth. It really does me good just to sit and paint, I think there is nothing more calming that I know.

And I made another canvas, as i discovered a whole pile in different shapes and sizes in the Bottomless Pit, AKA Hall Closet.
I have one again used a page from one of the old magazines, lots of mod-podge and gesso, and then some images and rub ons. The picture of HÄnsel and Grethel was in another book that is slowly decaying. I have a lot of books from the late 19th, early 2oth century, and as the paper was very acidy, the pages turn brown, and brittle, and then crumble, so I am using what I can in art projects to try o conserve at least parts of them.

And to close, some more funnies sent by my dear friend Narda, who lives in Percy, Illinois, and always send me things to get me laughing;

Gentle Thoughts for Today -

Birds of a feather flock together . . . .and then "POOP" on your car.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight, because by then your body and your fat have gotten to be really good friends.

The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

He who hesitates is probably right.

Did you ever notice: The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are XL.

If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

The sole purpose of a child's middle name is so he can tell when he's really in trouble..

Did you ever notice: When you put the 2 words 'The' and 'IRS' together it spells 'Theirs...'

Aging: Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of Algebra.

You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.

One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such a nice change from being young. Ah, being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth .

AMEN!

So here's wishing you a happy day, take care, and thanks for visiting. And come back tomorrow, I will have some nice vintage pics for your to download! (No, I didn't mean my photo - who asked that silly question?!)

25 comments:

  1. heehee, i enjoyed reading your gentle thoughts...most of them are sooo true!! :)absolutely LOVE your vintage collage, love the gentle hues and the lady with the melancholy look in her eyes. beautiful! Gorgeous piece from yesterday too, love the silver outlining...would make a fantastic stain glass window!
    happy belated ppf! :)enjoy the sunshine!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is incredible. So dramatic ... like your masks. Do you make your own tempera or do you purchase? Your hall closet is like the pitcher that never ran out of milk. It just keeps on giving! The canvas I have fallen in love .. it's the old books all worked in to that wonderful composition .. they give it so much character. Your friend must love you dearly to spend her time looking for 'sillies'! How loved you are ... I had my morning chuckle .. thank you. Hope you have a lovely balcony day. SOOOOooo happy you slept! big hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this painting. And the canvas! P is stil asleep - thank God! and the kids are out, how nice, peace! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    We are all coming en masse to your home to visit the Bottomless Pit LOL.
    Gorgeous, gorgeous canvas and I am enjoying viewing all your paintings, again this would be amazing interpreted into stained glass.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, welcome, you just need a safety helmet as things tend to topple from the top shelves, like my iron - sorry to swear! did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning artwork Valerie - I love your vibrant painting and the canvas is gorgeous.
    Thanks for the funnies - made me laugh and I kept DH entertained with them too.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work again Val, the painting is gorgeous, and so is the canvas. And the funnies gave me a good laugh - thanks! Hugs, Barba

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a work of art and total work of perfection
    Thanks for the inspiration
    Hugs Posh x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your painting, I wouldn't even attempt to try painting :) Gorgeous canvas too, Valerie!

    Fun quotes today, thanks! Well I can start my day now, I have had my "Valerie" fix :) Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous paintings and your canvas is gorgeous, I love the Hansel and Gretel print. I shall spend the rest of the day smiling after reading your Gentle Thoughts for Today.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully whimiscial lines and colors in your painting! Love the canvas too! Awesome work! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work Valerie. I love the gentle thoughts, they will keep me going. Great canvas. You are good!! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catching up reading your blog has realy has been brill, Gorgeous creations anmd a good chuckle at your gentle thoughts. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful painting Valerie, the colours are so vibrant and flowers are just gorgeous. Love the little image of Hansel & Gretel. Hope you've had a nice day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL love the idea that my body and my fat have become good friends LOL get set of thoughts for the day. Good that you had a good nights sleep we are all hot and humid now not easy to sleep in trust you are more comfortable.

    Love yesterday's painting agree about the colour's but yesterday'a is great for its chilly aloofness. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful canvas! And another gorgeous painting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Val, I love this, especially the painting of the dreamy lady, she really is magical! Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved reading your thoughts, Val, and looking at your beautiful art. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Val.... love the Gentle Thoughts for Today, that your friend Narda sent you.... they are so true. You certainly have made a neat treasure out of the "pit" closet. I really like it. thanks so much for sharing. Wishing you another good nights sleep, blessings~Barb

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another great canvas Valerie, but are you sure its a closet and not a cellar.....? Glad you had a great nights sleep. Enjoy the weekend. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really enjoyed reading your blog today, Valerie. Had quite a few chuckles too. Nice to know you had a non-grumpy day. Your canvas is marvelous.

    Creative hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your mixed media piece at the beginning. And funny jokes too! Maybe you need a little vacation Valerie, to make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Valerie
    Missing you over on KK but nice to know that you are still creating. You seem very busy, hope you are not overdoing things and getting some rest in between.
    Loved looking at your creations and you made my day after reading those gentle comments. Thank you for those. Sending some sparkles your way. Take care sweetie.
    hugs
    China
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely colours you've used val...

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both of these are gorgeous Val! I love the old book pages and Narda's smile for the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.