Friday 17 June 2011

Paint Party Friday and the sun is shining!

Good morning you all. We had another stormy evening and night here, wet, wild and windy! Lots of thunder and lightning, too. But now the sun is shining, probably specially for Paint Party Friday!

Yesterday I had a lovely surprise in the post, a mail art envelope filled with goodies, and I will show the pictures tomorrow, as today is Party time. I have been painting a lot this week; it seems to do me good just now. Kristin and Eva are hosting PPF as usual, so go on over if you can and see what people are up to.
I have painted another one of my blue self portraits, I have called it *Self dialogue with poetry*. I don’t know why I keep wanting to paint these stylized portraits just now, but I think in art it is good to do what you feel is right, and this feels right for me just now. Here it is.


In the dialogue I am talking to myself, or reading poetry to myself, something I often do, as there’s nobody else to talk to. But at least I get halfways intelligent answers, so that’s something. And I only get to hear poetry or books I like! There are some of my favourite authors there – Heinrich Heine, Paul Celan, Annette von Droste Hülshoff, Nelly Sachs and Rose Ausländer, to name just a few. Being surrounded with words and music I like to hear is very important, and I often listen to music or poetry from CDs while I am painting. And I have taken a photo of all three *blue ladies* togther. Had to put them onto to the floor for that, ans make sure my toes weren't on the picture.
This is the first time I have put them all together, so I think I will try to make a frame big enough to fit them all.
Then I did a lot of green painting yesterday, which has to be kept secret till Monday, for thr *Summer of Colour*. I have never painted with green before - just green, and I'm not sure if I will do it again!


In the afternoon I made a tag for the *Grungy Monday* Challenge over at Studio L3. You have to use a technique of Tim Holtz, which can be found on the
Tim Holtz Blog, January 2008
Technique Challenge


I made the skull using this technique, and then made it into a little fairy-tale collage tag. As I love using all these elements, it was. as always, fun to make!



So, that was it for today. Have a nice day, take care, and thanks for visiting!

39 comments:

  1. Happy PPF and loving your Summer of Blues. They will look fab framed together Valerie.
    Your tag as always is great. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful paintings Valerie - just love those blues.
    No sun here today sadly.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blue self portraits..and i like the idea of talking to oneself sometimes;p a very creative tag too! It's about to rain here.. Happy PPF nonetheless! :)

    Cheers,
    Elisa
    http://harmonythoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous self portraits, Valerie and they will indeed make a stunning triptych. There is a natural intuitive progression of the three when you view them in the order in which they were painted. Long discussion over copious amounts wine on that one. No rain here for months .. sending sunny thoughts. Take care, hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your self portraits Valerie - the three of them will look great in a frame. Your tag is fabulous too. Have a great weekend.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love a bit of thunder & lightning (I do). Your 'trio of blues' look absolutely stunning. Another super tag - though that skull is a bit creepy! Have a nice day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blue ladies, but i am sure my daughter would pick the skull!! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. A marvel! I love it! Art Nouveau stained glass remind me, in my city (Barcelona) there are many old buildings on all shops and cafes, such windows ... Lovely. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the different shades of blue, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Paint Party Friday to you Valerie, your paintings are vibrant and fun, love the blue and purple hues and your tag's full of interest and depth, wonderful art, Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome! Love your faces and the title is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great self-portraits - i love stylised paintings as sometimes they seem to work better with the idea you have in your mind. The hair is wonderful - it looks like stained glass almost!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your self portraits, they make such a statement all together like that.

    we're having a mail strike here with the mail trickling through although nothing since Monday. Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the way you framed your portraits together. the tag is awesome as well. Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a theme of your own!

    These will make a fabulous triptych! Looking forward to seeing what you do with green.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun tag. Love the colors and the way you pulled all the fun elements together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful paintings and such a great tag!

    ReplyDelete
  18. fabulous paintings so rich in colour and a very quirky tag.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving these blue paintings these and your masks are like nothing anyone else is doing and all the more marvelous for that. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW, Valerie--how magnificent! You are so talented, my friend!! And thank you again for my special treasures...they mean so much to me.
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! AMAZING! Love the 3 pieces together! And your tags...LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous painting love it x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi
    They would look magnificent in a frame, the impact would be stunning.
    Another wonderful tag.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  24. happy PPF! love your blue ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those blue are just awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Valerie, your latest 'blue' paint Friday piece is my favorite.

    Awesome tag, too, for Grungy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like your blue portraits. They really do look like stained glass. Really great job Valerie. Your work is always great and I enjoy it much. I like the way all three look together. Great tag as well. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning paintings and I love your beautiful tag!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your trio of works go perfectly together. Very nice. As always, LOVE LOVE your tags!!! HAPPY PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous paintings, Valerie!

    Fabulous tag as well :) Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh love these val, well done...

    love all the shades of blue and looking forward to the greens (OK not as much as alma will be, lol)...

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cool painting and I love all the blues! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are such an inspirion to me! I have been in a slump ever since I started a mini album & didn't like how it was going! I am hoping I see visions of your work in my head tonight & that it inspires greatness tomorrow! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh LOVE the three blue yous together! I really like how simple you kept the lines and the hair is a brilliant finish to them all! If you can't find a frame big enough for all three, you could always frame them separately and hang them together.....but however you do it, what a striking collection it will be!
    PPF Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Magnificent collage painting. So wonderful. One day I will try mixing acrylic paints with my collages... I hope they will be as good as you! Great Grungy tag too!
    gerri:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the movement and energy AND the colors!
    Also your cards are really fun and beautifully made!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very very nice! Such pretty colors combined!! Happy ppf!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your blue portraits and fairy tale tag.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm loving these stylized portraits. Ooh, the blues are so vivid. Gorgeous work! All three together are awesome, Valerie. And that grungy tag is pretty darn cool! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.