Sunday 24 February 2013

Heavy Metal

Hi you all! It's been another cold, grey day here, with lots of snow. And I have had enough of it! The weather men have promised that the temps will start to climb a bit this week, and that we will see the sun again - I so hope that they are right! And to make matters worse, I had to spend my time doing the book-keeping for a charitable group I am in. I don't know WHY I got this job, as I am really lousy at math and everything to do with it, but today was the day to get it done. I have got it nearly finished, so that's one nightmare less!

The card I have made today is for the 'heavy metal' challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show. I stuck some strips of aluminium tape from the discounter onto a piece of cardboard packaging, embossed it with a texture fade folder, and 'aged' it with Inka gold in pewter and archival black. You can't see the joins in the tape once it has been embossed and treated. Then I cut TH's old jalopy, and wings and a heart from it.  I mounted it onto a piece of Miri board in gunmetal grey, and added a red tin heart that I got some time back from Donna , who often sends me nice odds and sods bits and bobs from Mexico. I matted it with a square of red card before fixing it to a piece of cardboard, peeled (as far as the eye can see) and distressed with Inka gold in pewter again. I found the 4 snap-fasteners for the corners in my button box.

The magazine in the background of some of the photos is from 1913. Miri board is almost impossible to photograph without reflections, so you can see me - luckily very indistinctly - in the background.






I am also linking to the Craft-Room Challenge - something for a man.

I was pleased to see my entry for the 'E' page at the Craft Barn dictionary challenge has been chosen for the 'wall of fame'. I did a page about even numbers. Now I have to decide what to do for 'H'. Making decisions is always a problem!

That's all for today, hope you all have a good start into the new week. Take care and /or have fun and thanks a lot for coming by!

28 comments:

  1. Valerie, awesome use of that old jalopy die! Love your heavy metal card with the great embossing! Hope your weather turns sunny and warmer! Happy Sunday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, wish I had one of those vintage cars! A real one, of course.... Love how you have made your card! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning Valerie, I love how you used the tape, what awesome results! Hope it gets warmer for you there. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. ein texturierter Oldtimer! HAMMER!

    Du hast ja Ideen!

    sagenhaft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that has such beautiful texture, love this piece,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Valerie, das ist ein wundervolles Stück Kunst. Meine Güter, der Oldtimer ist umwerfend schön in Szene gesetzt

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool Heavy metal piece Valerie! Always loved that car! and congrats on the Wall of Fame!!! You go girl!

    Best of luck in my giveaway.
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your heavy metal car is just awesome! The red heart contrasts nicely!

    The sun is finally out this afternoon. I'll send some your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love what you did with the tin or tape of whatever it is you used! That old car is magnificent. I really like odds and sods better than bits and bobs - but then that's from living in London. A great piece, Valerie. Glad you could use the little tin heart - it suits it! hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Heavy metal piece Valerie and congrats for getting on the Hall of Fame at The Craft Barn

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Valerie, I love those snaps in the corner - you always have the best little details. Congratulations on the 'wall of fame' Good luck for the sun shine xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love the metal embossed car, its a fantastic card.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulations on your "wall of fame" Val and I love that car die, is it really from TH? It must either be an old one or a very new one as I haven't seen it on the UK sites. Love what you did with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Valerie that embossing folder really suits the car die :) a wonderful card !
    Vo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! What a cool technique! I love what you did to create that texture and age - really fab, xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab embossed metal jalopy! Love the heart as well! Just striking! Thank you for showing us your metals at Simon Says Stamp & Show this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just wonderful Valerie-love the way you made the car stand out.


    Well done on getting to the wall of fame with your numbers page--it was very clever.

    Also well done doing the books for the charity.

    Hope the improves for you soon then you can send some sunshine for us. Today it damp, grey and very cold again with the awful wind blowing.

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done on being on the wall of fame for your tag :)

    Great work on the car and the heart is brilliant.... love the colour!

    Hope you get some warmer weather soon... at least its not snowing here!

    I am hopeless at mathematics - I just don't get it! Nice to know I am not alone!!!!

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness Valerie, I am so with you on the book keeping. I recently became Treasurer of my son's air cadet squadron, the committee is very low in numbers and there was "no-one" else to do it! Your old jalopy is magnificent, I must get myself some of that tape, and I love the flying heart. Woo hoo to your Craft Barn spotlight too. Wishing you a great week. Take care. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love love love that metal look, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the metal embossed old jalopy! Great idea. Thank you for joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well you've shown your metal with this card Valerie - hehe - sorry, but it's ever so good! :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE hearing things like that, Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an awesome jalopy! It looks positively fabulous all textured up like this, Valerie, and especially with the bumper and whatnot layered. I love it!
    (BTW I received my auto fine in the mail and it was an astounding $175!!!) If I'd been driving something like this, it would've been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks great my friend. I am loving that old card. I do hope the weather improves for you!!

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful work, Valerie!!
    Love your metal creation... the "sacred heart" is my favorite. ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. A wonderful piece Valerie. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.