Sunday 17 February 2013

Fun with stamping

Hi you all, hope you are enjoying a restful Sunday. I have been enjoying getting messy and inky again, playing with stamps and colours. My hands are a lot less shaky than they were, but I still have difficulties, and I think it is important that I get plenty of practice.
The first piece is a card made for 2 challenges; the birds and or bees challenge at Out of a Hat Creations, and a second entry for the Fashionable stamping challenge 'Birds'. I was happy that I was chosen to be in the 'Saturday Spotlight' at FSC for my share some love entry which you can see here if you want to.
I stamped a background using my much loved script stamp in vintage photo DI, and the nest and bird - both from Catherine Moore - have been stamped with Adirondack espresso, fussy cut, and popped up with foam squares. I gave them a glint in their eyes with a drop of glossy accents. I used various scraps to cut the background matting, and threaded a ribbon through some slits between the punched paper lace. The little wooden bird is from Crafty emblies. I love doing monochrome stamping, as it reminds me of the prints in old books.








The second piece is also for 2 challenges;  'Eyes' at Try it on Tuesday, and  'Colour technique' at Artful Times.
I masked the middle of the card, and stamped the script, flourishes and leopard with archival black. Then I removed the masking, and added the 'Eyes' stamp in the middle. I used DI in wild honey, forest moss and tumbled glass for the background, and added some highlights with white, yellow and turquoise jelly pens. The eye stamp is from Paper Artsy, the others all from LaBlanche. If you look carefully, you will find more eyes hidden in the picture - can you find them? This is really a bit crazy, definitely not CAS!



I have used this piece to make my April calendar page.


All in all a fun Sunday for me, but I still haven't tidied up my kitchen: Perhaps next week!
Have a great day, whatever you are up to, stay creative, and thanks a lot for visiting!


35 comments:

  1. Both cards are gorgeous, Val, love them both for different reasons! Your calendar is great, how lovely to have a piece of art work every month! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big congratulations on the Saturday Spotlight, you deserve to be in the spotlight with all of your beautiful work! These are all beautiful Valerie, love all the eyes in your calendar too, so unique the way you hid them, love the butterfly wing eyes best! Have a beautiful day! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're both great cards, Valerie! Pretty intense cutting of the birds and nest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd never know that your hands are still shaky - that's some mighty fine fussy cutting you've done there, Valerie! I LOVE the bird and nest stamps, they have such wonderful detail and they look lovely on your card.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work on both of these Valerie. The eye is vibrant with the colour you have chosen.

    The bird card is adorable with beautiful ideas and wonderful choice of plants. The little wooden bird just finishes it all perfectly. So pleased that you joined us at Out of Hat for the Butterflies and or birds challenge.

    Love Chrissie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone's thinking of Spring! Lovely pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on your win Valerie! Your card is beautiful and what an amazing calendar page. Glad you are managing to stamp again. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are amazing creations, love the birds and the calendar page is amazing too.
    hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both gorgeous Valerie, I love your birds, but these eyes are wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous creative pieces, love them both. The colours are wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous eyes Valerie, love how the leopard is looking 'eye to eye' with the big eye. Lovely birdies too and congrats on your valentine spotlight. Hugs, Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous cards and calendar. Love the birds, I agree with you about the mono stamping.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Val.

    Love both of these projects but the first is a favourite. I love it !!!!

    Think its the layers that does it.

    Gorgeous stamped images on your second project, brilliant colours too

    TFS

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards Valerie I love the Birds so beautiful and those eyes very vibrant. Your work is always stunning. Love
    Y to have you join us at Out of a Hat. Hugs Sandra X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful card and calendar page Valerie :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. So thrilled that you were spotlighted! Congrats! Valerie these are both gorgeous! Love the elegant bird card and that totally cool set of eyes! Thank you for playing along with us at FSC! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, found 3 pairs of eyes and 2 individual, how did I do? lol Great piece, I love them when they draw you in like that! Thanks so much for playing along with s over at TIOT, All about the Eyes challenge, waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the mix of images you have used, so different. Yes, I found several eyes and remembered I have the tiny one below the word "everything". Now where did I put it?
    Thanks for this super entry to our current challenge.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Valerie! I'm in love with your bird cards. Totally agree that the stamping makes them look like old book illustrations which I adore. Your other work is bright and cheery - I always adore when you use your eye stamp in such creative ways. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great cards! love that eye and the leopard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh,wow, ich bin ja voll von den Socken. Was für wunder-wunderschöne Werke hast Du hier gezeigt. Ganz große Klasse, Valerie.

    Ich wünsche Dir eine schöne Woche

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the stamps and colours on your bird piece

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on being Spotlighted over at FSC!
    Beautiful use of Catherine Moore's stamps (I love her stamps but at the moment it is only DT stamps I reach for). Gorgeous colours.
    A wonderful post bursting with creativity.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous work again, Val, love what you have made! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great stamping for your 'eyes' project -love that vibrant turquoise! Thank you for joining us at TioT Cindy (and the kitchen will still be there next week.....)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Zwei wunderschöne Werke hast du gestaltet. Beide gefallen mir super gut. Vielen Dank für deine Teilnahme bei FSC.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maybe a little late ... but just seen you fabolous eyes on the challege side. Wonderful love them a lot. I may need to follow you to not miss anything :-)
    Take care
    XOXO
    SanDee

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Valerie. Love your birds, but can't resist a cat. that's got to be my favourite. Great stamping!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kitchens can wait! Love these creations, especially the one with the eyes. (That's one of my fave stamps and I love how you used it!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Valerie your card is stunning I love the bird & nest stamp.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Out of a Hat
    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really love your colour technique entry, the eyes are amazing and the colours are wonderful. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful pieces! Great colors and images.

    ReplyDelete
  33. More fabulous creations Valerie. Love all the beautiful colour and texture.
    Lovely to see another entry in our FSC birds challenge too.
    Good luck!
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Two fabulous cards, love all the eyes!

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.