Saturday 16 June 2012

Buttoned up and Happy Mail

Hi everybody, it's weekend! It's still bad weather here, cold, windy and not a bit like summer, but it's good weather to stay home and craft and read.
Over at the *Out of a Hat* Blog Challenge, the ladies want to see something with buttons this week. I have made two little mini books. The first is a maze-book, made with some double sided 7 Gypsies paper. The covers are scraps of gold card. I have filled the pockets with little tags, and decorated some with lace.  The front has been decorated with a scrap of hessian, lace, a skeleton leaf, and of course - buttons.




The second book has been made using distressed, corrugated cardboard glued onto chipboard. The chipboard is from the back of an old water-colour pad. I inked and embossed the cardboard, and used images from Graphics45 mounted onto some scraps of a 7 Gypsies paper. The pages have been cut from drawing paper, and I have bound it with string, adding a little key charm (thanks Diane!). Buttons have once again been used as decoration, and a flower made of old book paper. The insides of the covers have been inked and stamped with various LaBlanche stamps.

Front

Back

Inside


 And I got a surprise from Tracey in Australia, who sent me a little packet of Australian tea to try out, and one of her lovely postcards. I got a letter from the post saying that I had to collect a 'shipment' from customs and excise. I had no idea who had sent me something. I had to open the envelope there, and show what was in it. The lady there was furious - not with me, but with the idiots  employees from the post, who evidently thought that it was a shipment for which I should pay customs duties! This seems to be bureaucracy gone mad! Of course, they didn't charge me. Thanks a lot, Tracey, for the nice surprise, and I have already tried the Afternoon Tea, which is delicious!



Here's wishing you all a great weekend. Have fun, take care and thanks for visiting!

28 comments:

  1. Love your little book Valerie and the pocket pages :)
    It's not so good here either :(
    Have a good weekend
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely books, my fave is the second one, but they are both gorgeous. And the story at the customs is just so typical! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic little works of art Valerie.

    What a shame the the PO spoilt your lovely surprise-it's a pity they haven't anything better to do.

    Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us at Out of a Hat we love to see what you make


    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous books Valerie...love them both!
    Love the mail art too...and had to laugh that our PO isn't the only one that wastes people time!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. the booklet is beautiful I love the addition of the lace, such a lovely gift from Tracey, how lovely to give the gift of tea, you can sit and enjoy it thinking of the wonderful friend who sent it, prolongs the joy of the sweet gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your booklet, Valerie! I think we're getting the same darn weather as you. Not at all like summer yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Val,
    the weather here is hot and humid and it isn't even 11am. I could send you some heat if you like.
    Love your little booklets and the corrugated ones are wonderful.
    Enjoy your tea, nice to try teas from other countries isn't it>
    Have a super weekend and stay crafty.
    Lesley ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely little books, Valerie :o) I'm so glad you didn't get charged customs for Tracey's sweet gift - that really would mean the world had gone mad!

    Wishing you a lovely weekend,

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Valerie I just adore your little books. so gorgeous! all those little pockets and beautifully decorated. Your little surprise looked lovely, how lucky you were. I love tea as well. Lets all hope the weather finally comes good I think we are growing webbed feet LOL. Thanks for sharing and your support with us at Out of A Hat. Hugs Sandra XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous mini books!
    What a thoughtful gift from your friend.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW, I love it all, Valerie!! I hope you're having a great weekend!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute minibooks and thoughtful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mini book is beautiful.
    Using the corrugated cardboard as a front and back cover for the book, perfect!! :]
    Gives a real look & feel of texture.
    There is so much detail and wonderful embellishments, which you applied... I love it! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful little books! Love the buttons and lace and all your other embellies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Valerie, two very pretty books, love the lace and buttons and those super vintage adverts. Keep cozy. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Valerie
    Stunning little books,fab use of buttons.Thanks for joining us at Out of a Hat
    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two great books, love how you decorated them.
    Have a good weekend.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your little books .... they are perfect.

    Glad you enjoyed your tea... what a fuss though!!!

    Thank you for your comment btw.... when I was 'doing' my face I thought about your previous advice to me :)

    Thank you



    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great books Val love them both. Hope you enjoyed your Green tea too. The weather is far from flaming here too, cold wet and very windy!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely books and smashing gifts, x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a great postcard from Australia. Has she painted the picture herself? Yesterday I bought some paintingpaper with printed postcard text to the other side. Can't wait to start drawing/painting:) Your self made books look really lovely also.
    Greetings from Finland
    Niina

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was a pleasure to send the tea over and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the teas and mozarts balls you sent me... the cassis one is just so lovely... customs are the same everywhere I think...
    have a wonderful weekend and hope the weather is really hot and summery so the green tea will be just what you need
    Trace xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your little books are gorgeous Valerie... love the lace and buttons... and how lovely to receive some wonderful mail... enjoy the tea...

    Hugs
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What little gems, I bet they are treasured too. Enjoy your day. Another Irvine Crafter. Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your books are fab. love the decorations and little tag pockets. What a lovely refreshing gift. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Valerie. Fantastic projects. Thank you for sharing with the Hatters. Will be back tomorrow for a catch up.
    Take care,
    Florence xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a darling book! love the lace and buttons. t/c, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your books are gorgeous, love how you made a pocket and trimmed it with lace too. The buttons are beautiful and so is the embossing splashed on the second one too! So sweet of Tracey to send you the lovely selection of tea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.