Sunday 25 March 2012

Some vintage images and a small,new canvas

Good morning you all; here's wishing you a great Sunday!
When I went shopping yesterday morning, the bunches of tulips had been reduced to half-price, so I got 2 bunches, in yellow and orange, and for 2€ I have a giant vase full; it looks so sunny and spring like! And the bananas, pineapples and mangoes were also on half price, so I'm having a fruity weekend!

I have been clearing out and tidying a lot the past couple of weeks, and (re)discovered an interesting book at the back of one of the book cases. It's a calendar-almanac from 1897, printed in Vienna. At the front and the back are loads of old adverts, some with a very steampunky flair, a few of which I have photographed for this post. You are very welcome to download and use them for your art work if you want. Apart from that, there are lists with lots of important information, economic and political advice and comments, and a writing page for each month. Some of the pages have been written on, or filled with figures and sums. There is also an address list of all the important people living in Vienna at that time. The last picture shows a part of it, and just above the middle of the column is the address of Dr Sigmund Freud, and the opening times of his office. It was a strange feeling to see the name of someone known to the whole world for his work on psycho-analysis in the list of doctors!









I had a fun time leafing through it, and am trying to make up my mind if I keep it or sell it....

And I made a small canvas (10x10cms). It was first coated with some roughed up structure paste, and then I applied the colours - blue, yellow, black, gold and green in layers, alternating with liquid glue. When it was heated with the heat gun it bubbled and cracked, and showed the different layers. Then I coated it all with a thick layer of glue again - much cheaper than glosser accents! - and added small glass beads, gem-stones, an acrylic flower, a vintage frog scrap and a few other flying-around-bits and bobs. In real life the colours are a bit nicer, they have a lovely metallic sheen which does not show up well. It was fun to make something different, and I am linking to the Craft Room Challenge, where the ladies want to see some bling.


That's all for today. Have a great day, have fun and thanks for visiting!

21 comments:

  1. Love the pretty canvas, and the book looks very fascinating! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a treasure you found. :) It must be worth a fortune. Fun little colorful canvas, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your little canvas Valerie, so bright and sparkly. Fabulous old book too.Wishing you a sunny Sunday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find, that seems a fabulous old book, I would be keeping it I think. Wow to the canvas the colours are so cheerful and I like the bling.
    Yvonne x
    p.s. thanks for the prints, I have copied and saved a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Valerie another sunny day here that's a lovely looking book amazing the things we stash and forget about :)
    Fab canvas so much lovely texture and viberant colours ! :)
    have a good one
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! Have a fantastic and creativity filled day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful mixed media piece! Thanks for sharing your vintage pages. Love your purchases at the market! Exactly what I would buy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your canvas has amazing texture BUT I have a fear of frogs!!! It is completely irrational and getting a wee bit out of control. Despite that I cannot help but appreciate the incredible art you share with us.
    A lovely sunny day in my part of the world, most unusual at this time of the year.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the cool pages and I love your colourful blingy piece, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad spring has arrived for you. What a book fascinating you have there I'd keep it if I were you.

    Love your canvas bright and cheerful and fun Mr. Frog looks completely at home there. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge good luck XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this sounds to be a very interesting book Valerie, and this canvas is fabulous, I love bright colours and bling x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work Val. Hope you have had a good weekend! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your colorful canvas! TOO FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Val, lovely canvas, so much to look at and very colourful. Speaking of frogs, we hear them at night now singing, so strange for March, spring is a month early here in Ontario.
    That book you found I think is a keeper. What great pages and history you have there.
    Thank you for the freebies for our art.
    I hope you have a great week.
    Lesley♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting book you have Valerie. It would be hard to part with it and it appears to be in good condition.

    Love your bling piece.

    Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just look at all those cool pages.. So sweet of you to share them with us.. And it looks like you had some fun with your canvas. Looks at all those wonderful colors..

    ReplyDelete
  17. so blingy I love it!!! great colours too, thanks for joining us at craft room challenge, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fascinating old book and I love your canvas.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous, I love all the texture and the gorgeous colours. Thanks for joining in with us at the Craft-Room Challenge, and good luck.

    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great find ! Love your canvas and it's bright and beautiful colours great texture too .

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fascinating book, love your "blinged" project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.