Wednesday 4 January 2012

Christmas post from Mexico

Yoohoo, my Christmas post from Mexico arrived. Poor Donna had almost given up hope that it would arrive here, but today it did - when I went down to my mailbox, I found a big and very decorative envelope waiting for me. Inside I found a beautiful Christmas tag and loads of sheets of ephemera, which are especially welcome, as I haven't been able to print anything for ages thanks to my not-so-wonderful Lexmark printer, which has steadfastly refused to work for many weeks.



I especially like what Donna has written on the envelope!



So now, at a time when other people are taking down their Christmas decorations, I have just put a new one on the wall in my arty kitchen....

I thought very seriously about doing the H*******K yesterday, and went from room to room, inspecting the mess. Then I decided to close the doors and not think about it anymore till Thursday, in the hope that I will be able to find somewhere to start.

I had a try at making a book with a sewn coptic binding, and managed to sew 6 signatures together. I covered some cardboard from the back of a drawing pad with some hand-made Indian paper to make the covers. I just added a brass name-plate to the front. I will definitely try this again, BUT I need a larger needle and some embroidery thread or fine twine to sew it together. As I can't see very well, it was very difficult for me working with a small sewing needle, and I almost sewed my fingers to the binding! But it is an interesting Technic, and I like the way the pages all lay flat




Have a nice day you all, take care, and thanks for dropping in!



23 comments:

  1. Hi Valerie,
    I love it all! And I'm so happy it arrived--and adore the envelope!!! xo Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little book is beautiful! Love it! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your post arrived Valerie, it must have been very exciting opening that envelope. I love your book, and I know what you mean about small needles lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful "artsy" envelope!
    Thank you for sharing your excitement :]
    Just adore your signature book too. There is a lot of work put into creating these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha about Heathcliff ... I had forgotten i put that on there. Relieved you finally received! Love the book .. the hand binding is fun and beautiful and I love the paper you used on the covers. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val, you are off to a good and creative start in the new year! Hope it will be a good one for you! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful late christmas pressie. Love your little book, your sewing looks very neat! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! I love Christmas mail..even if it is late! Enjoy being creative with your ephemera.
    I'm soooo impressed with your stitched book..:)
    Hugs xx
    p.s. I've just done the same thing re. the "h" word..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous goodies from Mexico! Love your little book, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your book its beautiful. I would be keeping those doors well shut, its strange how that 'h' word has terrible issues with all us crafters.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Book is exquisite and know how much time it takes to stitch ~ Lovely gifts from Mexico ~ happy creating ~ namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) and A Creative Harbor ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how wonderful, getting presents after Xmas. Lucky you! Hi Valerie, hope you are doing good. Anyways, I love your little gift that you hung on the wall. As for the book, I love it. You need to do a tutorial on how to make books, it would be fun. I need to learn. I don't even have a journal ready for this year, although in my studio there are about 10 blank books waiting. You are so creative. Take care and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your stitched notebook Valerie and what a lovely late Christmas gift.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the new look to your Blog. This is the look I would wish for but unable to achieve at wordpress :(
    The stitched book is wonderful.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  15. A really lovely Christmas gift .. it is never too late for presents! Love the new look of your blog and your book with the amazing stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely you got your post (eventually) love your book..

    maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your little book Val the hand stitching is marvellous, better than I could do with my magnifying glass!! What a lovley surprise for you too to find the gift from Mexico. Such a lovely one too. Hugs and love for the New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful a late present to cheer up the apartment now that the decorations are down.

    Great book well down sewing it so well. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome envelope and decoration; they're definitely worth the wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for Mexico mail! :)) And that book looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for visiting/commenting on my WOYWW - no my space isn't usually so tidy either, but I have to admit it's pretty inviting when it is. Enjoy Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How exciting to get a present later than all of the others. It makes the season last a little bit longer.
    Your book is so fantastic. I really do need to figure out how to make one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your book is beautiful and what fun postcards! Happy WOYWW!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.