Monday 15 August 2011

A family LO

Sssssssssssssh! Don't tell! The sun is shining! I'm holding my breath so as not to disturb it! Wonder where it came from?

Sometimes I don't really know why I bother making things about my family, as they couldn't care less about me, but I suppose I do it because I need to remember them. For this LO I used a photo of my Mum and my eldest sister, taken about 1939 /40. For the background I have used a sheet of 12 x 12" ceramic card - a speciality stamping paper. First I stamped the rose and the owl each twice with resist ink, and let it dry before rubbing over the paper with a mixture of ancient paper, Victorian Velvet and Forest Moss inks. I sprayed it too with some garden fairy green from My tattered angels, before wiping the colour away, leaving just a faint colour and the images showed up white, Then I stamped again, using Victorian velvet for the roses, and Forest moss for the other images. The roses have been embossed with bridal embossing powder, and the owls and clocks with perfect pearls in gold. After they were heat set, I wiped the rest away with an old nylon stocking, it gets rid of the excess powder in no time! You can't see too much of the resist printing, as the light is not ideal, but you can see the white shadows. I used different embellishments - netting, flowers, lace, some prima leaves and some acetate butterflies and a corner. Was relatively quick and easy to make! was ma second DT piece for *the cheerful stamp pad*, where the theme still is petals.






Okay, that was it for today, had another lazy day yesterday! Have a great day, take care and thanks for visiting!


25 comments:

  1. What a beautiful LO Valerie. So many techniques and gorgeous accents.
    Don't tell, but the sun is shining here too!!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely Valerie :) shame you can choose your friends but not your family .
    Shh sun is shining here too
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the saying goes, "you can't choose your family" but I think it's lovely that you incorporate their photos in your art. What a great layout, lovely soft gold, pink & green and the embellishments are gorgeous. Enjoy the sunshine today. Take care. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. in very whispered tones, very beautiful work, hope the sun stays and doesn't get shy and hide behind some clouds x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it too, I remember meeting your Mum once or twice! Hope the weather stays nice for you, here the clouds are beginning to gather again. Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice piece, Valerie. You look like your Mama I think. Lots of techniques I don't know about .. much to learn. Enjoy your lovely day in the sun. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really gorgeous collage Valerie. Love the colours and your stamping looks beautiful. Lovely embellishments too.
    Have a good day and make the most of the ssh you know what!
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty layout. Love the vintage feel to it. and the photo is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful layout Valerie. The sun is shining here too.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Valerie, I love how you did this one. Hope you have a wonderful week and yep that saying is so true, you cant choose your family ... lets hope this one is treasured
    hugs June x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Valerie. Families are very strange things. Who knows why they do the things they do. A Lovely project to remember the good times.
    Sending lots of hugs Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful project,Valerie. Love the whole layout!

    Have a fun week!
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work- I really love all the different techniques you used and the way they all come together so smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty! So glad you have some sun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy "S" Day to you, Valerie!
    Gorgeous piece you have created, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful work today Valerie. Family...can't live with them, can't live without them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful piece, love the picture and the colours. I often say that Friends are the family that you can choose for yourself. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Val, lovely LO and I love the vintage pics and pretty stamping and embellies. Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of great comments about family.... Loving your LO. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the LO. My BFF gave me a wall hanging that says FRIENDS are the family we choose. So to say the least, I understand. Hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  21. Valeri a beautiful project from a beautiful person. It's such a shame we can't choose are family butsometimes this makes us stronger our friends are our chosen family and you certainly have plenty of those.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how beautiful, Val!! and I adore the lace--so pretty!! And I am happy that the sun is shining for you!!!

    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful colours and lovely creative layout. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yea...enjoy the sunshine and I hope it lasts for more than one day.

    Your family layout is very lovely and the touch of lace below the photo is wonderful.

    Hugs,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Valerie, so glad to hear the sun is shining for you. Somehow the sun keeps our moods up, too much rain and it gets depressing.
    No you sure can't chose family, know all about that.
    Lovely LO tho, so many techniques and interesting textures.
    Lesley :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.