Tuesday 20 January 2015

Tiot, Inspired by and Tag Tuesday

Hi Everybody!
We had a cold, grey and frosty day here. I saw on the news that there was chaos in some parts of the States due to ice, so take care those of you living in those places.

Today I made one piece for two challenges, Try it on Tuesday and Art Journal Journey, Inspired by.... At Tiot our new challenge runs for 2 weeks, and you are asked to use fabric (not ribbon) on your creation, so I hope that lots of you will join in. I was inspired to make this woven art-journaling by Sheila Hicks, an American Textile Artist, who makes wonderful art with weaving. I started off by making a little frame out of cardboard, which I threaded up with twine.I wrote a quote onto a piece of paper, which I placed under the strings.  I then stitched it to a piece of partly peeled and painted corrugated card in A4. I wove various strips of fabric - vintage linen, vintage braids, string, fibres, fancy yarn and burlap through the frame. When it was finished, I stitched with zig-zag stitch down the sides to hold it all together. For the background I took a slightly larger piece of chipboard, painted it with terracotta and added some gold Utee round the edges before gluing the woven piece onto it. The quote I used is, 'We sleep, but the loom of life never stops, and the pattern which was weaving when the sun went down is weaving when it comes up in the morning' (Henry Ward Beecher).
I like the idea of having a message hidden in the work. To finish it off I added some beads threaded on to twine and a couple of feathers. I will use this as a journal cover.








At Tag Tuesday our theme this week is 'Texture'. I used corrugated card, partly peeled and gessoed for the base. I added some strips of paper recycled from old projects and a piece of fabrick as matting. I stamped the image of Da Vinci's Leda (Lost Coast Designs) onto card with archival brown, clear embossed it, and distressed the card with vintage photo. As embellishments I used various scraps of ribbon, a wire flower, some fibres and a muse token.





Also linking to Moo Mania and More, anything goes.

The sun kept trying to appear, but didn't have much success.


Two ravens were my first visitors this morning, which annoyed all the other little birds....But I love their glossy blue-black feathers.



The Rhine is sinking further, so that's good, although there is still too much water.




Have a great day you all, take care,
and thanks a lot for coming by!

38 comments:

  1. Fantastic art work, love the weaving, and the tag is just gorgeous. Wonderful photos, too, all in all a great post! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meine Güte -- Deine Traumstücke heute sind einfach fantastisch Valerie!
    Bin verliebt!
    Die Fotos sind mal wieder wunderbar!
    Hab einen schönen Dienstag und lieben , lieben Dank im Namen der Challenges

    ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE
    MOO-MANIA & MORE -CHALLENGE

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea to do some weaving with the different fabrics Valerie it is a stunning work of art fr sure.
    Love the tag with all the textures and the beautiful image as a centre piece

    Terrific photographs with the watery sun trying its best to shine for you.-hope the weather is kind to you today.

    We have ordered a taxi to the docs for my early appointment as fog has added itself to the mix as well the ice-not my sort or weather at all :(

    Have a great day

    Love Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous makes, both of them! Love the colourful woven piece and the textured card is stunning too, I adore that Leonardo image! It works great in that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous textures and weaving Valerie. Nxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the tag too, stunning earthy tones and wonderful images x

      Delete
  6. was für herrliche stücke!! verborgene botschaften mag ich auch sehr... der aufwand mit dem textilen werk war sicher groß, hat sich aber voll gelohnt! auch das Leonardo tag ist toll geworden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful tactile textile (that's a tongue twister!) journal cover, it's really lovely and Great earthy tones on your tag. I am stuck in the house today, my daughter is off school with migraine and I am awaiting delivery of a new hard drive as my computer went kaput on Friday. Fortunately my son and hubbie are both computer geeks and can fix it! Have a good Tuesday. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That made me laugh, now I will be muttering tactile textile all day....Hope your daughter and the computer are soon better!

      Delete
  8. I love your woven project and the tag is fabulous - lots of great textures.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, ich mochte Gewebtes schon immer, dein Werk ist super geworden mit diesen unterschiedlichen Materialien!
    Da fällt mir mein alter, im Keller gelagerter Webstuhl ein... ach ja, das waren noch Zeiten...
    Kalte Grüße auch von hier - LG Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love these!!!! Now I want to make one.;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic hand craft. Love the colour palet, too.
    Have a lovely day,
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous work Valerie! I love how you weaved the fabric pieces through the string, genius! So many wonderful patterns there, it's stunning! Have a wonderful day! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning projects Valerie, love the idea of weaving in the hidden quote. Love the colour combinations.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You never fail to surprise me whenever I visit your blog. Amazing projects, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the texture you have created today. Good jub the Rhine is receding.



    I love all the texture you have created today, good job the Rhine is receding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The woven piece is just gorgeous! We must be on the same wavelength as I was just contemplating making myself a woven bracelet, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant design. Beautiful colours. Love the journey and sorry if I have missed commenting last day or so.xxx.xx{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow love the design with wonderful fabrics and beads. Both designs are gorgeous. have a wonderful day, shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I do love the mix of beads and fabric! Two wonderful creations and I am thinking the weaving takes a little time! Even though chilly and grey your walk still looks delightful! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Outstanding! Fiber art Valerie! I love both creations- the colors and elements you used- fabulous! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. A brilliant idea, love the finished project hugs Bee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful project with beautiful fabrics, and I love the design. The tag is fantastic too.
    Hugs, Mar

    ReplyDelete
  23. H Valerie, Great woven loom style project. It turned out so special with all the different elements you weaved. Lovely tag too.
    The raven is beautiful. Hope your days warm a little. Yes, parts of the country here had very cold and frozen weather over the weekend. We were blessed with 70 degrees for 2 days in Texas.
    Happy Creating!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Boah - dein gewebtes Journal (Bild?) ist der absolute Wahnsinn - ich liebe deine Farb-und Musterwahl - ein Traumteil!!!!
    Ganz liebe Grüße, Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice bit of weaving going on there & I love the tag too!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful fabric piece. I look forward to seeing it on a journal. I love your tag too ((hugs)) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Valerie! Stunning creations and I especially love the beautiful fabric panel.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. both art pieces are beautiful. What a wonderful textile piece your journal cover is and that tag is absolutely dreamy.
    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love all the texture in your woven card. You did a great job playing with different fibers although they all look like they belong together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the woven piece Valerie, gorgeous textures and colours. I love the idea of a hidden message.
    Beautiful tag, wonderful earthy colours and texture.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! You hit the jackpot with today's post! I really like both of your makes. Love the weaving with the beads at the bottom. Your tag is absolutely gorgeous!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE the way these projects look. You did a fabulous job..

    And of course I love seeing your photos.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beide sind großartig! Aber das erste Werk ist heute mein Lieblingsstück! Einfach klasse ... eine so schöne Idee! Ganz, ganz toll!
    Liebe Grüße, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  34. Deine gewebten Werke sind wunderschön geworden.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stunning work, wonderful photos I just love to visit your blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.