Friday 13 April 2012

Iceland or Iceland?

Good morning you all, it's party time again. Eva and Kristin are hosting Paint Party Friday again. It's week 5 of year 2 already! And Darcy is hosting week 15 of her Postcard Challenge, where our participants goal is Iceland....

This week Cissie is off for a trip to Iceland, with her friend Thelma in tow.
A couple of days beforehand, Jason and Cissie are sitting in her living room, enjoying tea, cream cakes and a football match on TV. Jason is only listening with half an ear to Cissie....
Jason, I’m going to Iceland on Friday with Thelma. Could you drive us?
Yeah, why not. But 'ang on, didn’t we go there last week? You bought piles of groceries; you can’t have eaten them all already!
Jason, we are going to ICELAND, not ICELAND!


(Iceland is a well known chain of grocery stores in England)
Well, I’m not deaf, am I? I 'eard you the first time!
Jason, I should say, we are FLYING to ICELAND! You need to drive us to Gatwick!
Bloody 'ell, watcha wanna fly for? It ain’t that far!
No Jason! We are flying to ICELAND. We are not going shopping!
Slowly, reality dawns on Jason. He asks, rather horrified,
Ain’t that somewhere at the North Pole? That place with volcanoes and ponies and ice all over the place?
It’s not at the North Pole, Jason. Your geography is very bad. I looked it up in my atlas, and it’s 3 centimetres further south!
Jason nearly chokes on a bite of cream cake, while trying to make sense of Cissie’s description. He still can’t understand WHY they want to go to Iceland, but as he always loses every argument with Cissie, he agrees to drive them to the airport.
They hardly fit through the door of the car, as they are so wrapped in furs and boots, and clutching thick blankets and snow-shoes. Jason pays for the excess baggage at the airport without saying a word, and watches them waddle off, resembling 2 brown bears looking for a place to hibernate....

After a pleasant flight, they arrive safely and are transferred to their hotel. They spend 2 days in Reykjavik before travelling on to Akureyri.



They are delighted to find real shops and plenty of restaurants, all of which offer a large selection of tasty and high calorie food, even though they are not always quite sure what it is....Perhaps that's just as well!!


(Photos from Wikipedia Commons)

They see the northern lights, and swim in hot springs. And it is not quite as cold as they thought it would be, and Cissie is able to wear her new purple silk blouse and skirt, made by her dressmaker from the silk Jason bought for her in Singapore. And one of the Iceland ponies forms a great attachment to Cissie, and follows her about; she can’t understand why....



And Jason is enjoying his peaceful week at home....

For PPF I once again have a WIP, I quite like it so far, but don't know what to do to finish it again....I have re-used a canvas, which has been painted with several layers of acrylics, after using a stencil to add some texture with structure paste.


I'm sorry I didn't get round to visiting everybody last week; I had problems with Blogger and was not always able to comment, but I was at least able to read the blogs. Hope this week will be easier.
Have a good day you all, take care, and thanks for visiting!



52 comments:

  1. Excellent the pony is amazing and what an adventure Cissie had hehe. Love your painting too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely postcard, Val, but I don't think I would like that food....I wonder why that pony followed her....??! Have a nice day, hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't resist throwing an Iceland supermarket gag in my entry either!! I bet Cissie loves it in there - the adverts always seem to show people having a huge quantity of party food!

    Entertaining as always and I love where you're going with your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your postcard Valerie, I lol at te 'two brown bears looking for a place to hibernate' It's a brave pony that follows Cissie, you never know when she may want a small snack! Your canvas is fabulous, I can't wait so see what you will do with it. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! 3 cm further south. :)) You crack me up. Love your postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your purple artwork is stunning:)
    I also want to go to Iceland, the photos are wonderful!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun, fun, fun!!! Purple is one of my favorite colors too! My girls wold love any horse but I'm sure this one will win anytime!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashing story to go with the postcard..loving the horse.
    Also loving your WIP for PPF, its looking fab already. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two brown bears looking for a place to hibernate - priceless! Fabulous story and artwork and the purple My Little Pony is gorgeous. Cissie suits that lovely violet colour very well.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work Val, and great story! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have to say, I don't fancy the Icelandic cuisine much. Cissy is looking fab and your canvas is lovely. Hugs, Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful art..love the purple :) Cissie is sure to enjoy her adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing adventure with Cissie and the canvas is beautiful so rich and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the canvas - such rich purples... and, as always, thoroughly enjoyed Cissie's travels.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun story ~ love your horse and your canvas piece is divine ~ thanks, namaste, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun card! Thanks for all your show & tells...love 'em

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous story, Valerie! Love the purple project :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I do love Cissie :D In a bikini!!!!lol Can't wait for that image to surface hahaha :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous page, love the dimension and the seed beads! Strange foods Aunt Cissie was eating this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Valerie, another great adventure for Aunt Cissie and Thelma. I really like the texture on your WIP. Have a great weekend.

    Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - love the piles of texture on your WIP - the kind of grid structure of the texture works in nice contrast with the organic shape of the flowers - really pretty. Love your postcard story too - made me smile. Thanks for continuing to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cissie is looking very smart this week, lovely colours! M

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are funny!!!

    I could just imagine them at the airport with their big furs.... looking for a place to hibernate!

    OMG is that a dried sheeps head?

    Looks like a Damien Hirst still life!

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah, I would run a mile if somebody put that in front of me!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great installment! I had to laugh at the comment that it was a brave pony that followed Cissie around. Love the new painting, it reminds me of hydrangea blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  26. another brilliant adventure! I would love to go to Iceland someday although I certainly won't be eating a sheep's head (poor thing!) I like your PPF work in progress - great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ugh, the head on a plate doesn't look very delicious!! Great description of Cissie and her friend, very comical ;D

    Your WIP is lovely, I really like the texture and colours you've achieved.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so enjoying Cissie's adventures. Going to Iceland is not on my bucket list, but I do think it would be a delightful trip. I can't imagine why that pony is following a lavender silk dressed woman around. Can you? I think your WIP looks finished. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a fun postcard. a good read as well, love the purple dress...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Always great work Valerie and of course Cissie always takes the show. tee hee. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love reading your travel logs and seeing the postcards that accompany! Maybe the pony likes her "pinky-purple?" LOL. Thanks too for the photos, so interesting, such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous canvas, loved how you used the texture paste!
    have a great weekend!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely WIP! And a wonderful story from ICELAND!

    ReplyDelete
  34. fabulous, Cissie is a hoot. Chuckled at them dressed like brown bears hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's a wonderful card and I can't help thinking that I would like to take a trip with Cissie! I know I would eat well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Valerie I just love your painting ! the colour and texture are just incredible and I could certianly find a spot for it ;)
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great work and great post too! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your work in progress... it is going to be exciting to see what the finished product looks like if it looks this good at this stage...xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the postcards, story and artwork, but the food plate - NOT! The paste really adds a great texture layer, very pretty! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG is that a preserved Reindeer face on the plate! Of course I love the travel adventures but I couldn't think why the horse was following Cissie? Your canvas is FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hooray for Iceland!
    One of my favorite places on the planet! :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  42. Can't miss my Friday Cissie fix!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Pretty pony with hair to match Thelma! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful pony and the WIP looks great! Happy PPF !

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love the postcards and all of the fun pix! Awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Always love reading your postcards. They are such fun. Love the canvas too especially the texture. x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Once again ROTFL - I love the story before you post your cards...

    ReplyDelete
  48. Whee, I finally made it over for my Jason and Cissie fix..and of course my Valerie "Art fix" too ;) Love the Iceland, not Iceland thing; so clever And the purple pony along with the purple silk; VERY fun! As for your work in progress; I think it might be done- I can't see anything to add that wouldn't take away from the overall (gorgeous) effect. Wonderful!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great story line. I love the image with the pony!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Still chuckling, like the pony. Fun postcard as always. Love the textured canvas.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Did you draw the pony- it's very nice! What WAS Cissie eating?! I am an adventureous eater, but those plates do not look very appetising! ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.