Tuesday 30 April 2013

Tags for Tag Tuesday

Hi you all! Today I am sharing the tags I made last week and this week for Tag Tuesday, for the letters 'P' and 'Q'. There's a saying about 'minding your Ps and Qs' which I just looked up, and here are 2 of the explanations from Wikipedia:

*One explanation suggests that *Ps and Qs is short for pleases and thank yous, and would have been used by parents to educate their children to not forget to speak politely etc.
Another origin comes from English pubs and taverns of the 17th century. Bartenders would keep a watch on the alcohol consumption of the patrons; keeping an eye on the PINTS and QUARTS that were consumed. As a reminder to the patrons, the bartender would recommend they 'mind their Ps and Qs'. This may also have been a reminder to bartenders not to confuse the 2 units, written as 'p' and 'q' on the tally slate.*

Well, this has nothing to do with my tags, so here they are:

This was made using a page out of Websters Greater English Dictionary, as I love their illustrations. The limerick is from Dixon Lanier Meritt.
For this week I chose the word 'Queue' for Q - I thought it was so plump that nobody else would use it. The illustration is from arthursclipart.org, where there is a splendid collection of free clipart. The two verse limerick was written specially for the occasion by me, and has been fixed to the back of the tag.




Here's hoping you have a good day - it's a holiday here, so I hope I will be able to sleep a bit longer!
Take care, and thanks for coming by!

25 comments:

  1. This one has me smiling.. Too funny. I love your tags my friend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tags with real humour. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you guess I'm giggling here Valerie? Great artwork too.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic tags, you are always good for a laugh, my dear! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a good laugh at those verses. Both super tags.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valerie - love the tags and your own "ditty" made me laugh. Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Valerie. Nice tags and pictures. These have all be great tags. I especially like this post about the p's and q's. Ooops, time for me to go warm up the soup for dinner and I will mind my P's and Q's while I'm at it.:) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn you're good! (Can I say that on your blog???) Find the definitions so interesting - do you think the English version was a cockney thing? LOVE your tags and your ditty. A great post, Valerie. Have a lovely holiday - no postie at your door. Remember "Postie postie, do your stuff, and take this to my wee cream puff". Good grief where did that come from! Memories. Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. nö-- ich krieg Besuch und muss schon auf sein

    fantastische Tags Valerie!
    schönen ersten Mai!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the ditty and the pub explanation of the quote as well.

    Oh you made some tags as well--those are just terrific-only you could have thought of the word queue to illustrate lol

    Have a great day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness... you are so creative with your tags!! :]
    This are simply wonderful, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the limerick and the tags Val. You should make a book of your own out of the alpha tags.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps i will when they are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tags and I love the last rhyme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, ha, a very witty ditty Valerie. Two great tags. My daughter was off school sick yesterday so this is me doing catchup. She's back today though, full of the joys of sring - not! Thank goodness I've only one teenage daughter! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That should've been 'spring'! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I thought that myself! Should I be feeling more sorry for you or her??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such great tags, very witty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tags are wonderful - I love the ladies standing in line. Your little ditty afterwards is so funny and I have heard watch your P's and Q's many a time. I prefer the bar origin!!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these Valerie, especially the witty sayings you have put with them all! Very clever, happy May 1st! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha Ha brilliant Val, amazing tags - you don't stick to the simple word do you lol. Hope you didn't stay in bed too long with no Postie to wake you up :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Till 10 past 10 - what a luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lol !!!! Thanks for that oh and I love the P and Q explanation the second one sounds just about right.

    Oops nearly forgot gorgeous tags !

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.