Tuesday 26 March 2013

Boxing Day

Hi you all! In case you are wondering about my title today, I am not thinking of the day after Christmas. I am thinking of boxing in two senses of the word - firstly, to show some altered boxes I have made for various challenges, and secondly - ouch! - because I boxed myself under my chin while trying to pull a piece of sticky tape off the floorboards. I am always surprised that things which refuse firmly and persistently to stick to paper, develop such adhesive strength when they fall to the floor....

The first box I have altered is a Swarovski box with hinged lid which I rescued along with its whole family from an awful fate in the old paper box. I sprayed it with silver paint -not really to recommend when there are minus degrees and a gale force wind blowing, but it has to be done outside. After it had dried, and I had thawed out again, I decorated it with lots of bits from my bit boxes - flowers, a cameo, sequin flowers, lace and ribbon. I stamped around the sides using my fave love script stamp, but I could not get a good pic of it.





The second box is a little oval one which was filled with delicious chocolate covered coffee beans - yummy! It wasn't quite empty, so I had to eat the rest. If I can't sleep tonight I will at least know why!
I covered the box with scraps of Graphic45 paper. The strip I had over for the lid was not quite wide enough, so I mounted it onto a strip of brown paper first. I added some lace, a flower and a skeleton leaf, and it was finished. The box is now on the shelves in my hall, holding the 50 cent pieces I need to put into the communal washing machine downstairs.





I am linking to three challenges today:
Out of a Hat creations - who are, by the way, celebrating their first birthday this week - have a variety of things to choose from, so I took vintage.
Sugar Creek Hollow, who want to see an altered state and
Try it on Tuesday, where the challenge is to recycle.

It is still extremely cold and windy outside, so it was great to have a good excuse to stay home and play! Keep warm, take care and thanks a lot for coming by!


33 comments:

  1. Your altered boxes are just beautiful! But sorry about you hitting yourself, it's almost comical, but I bet it hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing "altering" Valerie - such beautiful embellishments and great techniques. Love the little "money-box" - what a great idea!

    Hope you slept OK after the chocolates, and I do hope your chin has recovered from the shock of the boxer's punch! Ouch!
    Sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both boxes are gorgeous, Val. Sorry about you hitting yourself though - don't be so hard on yourself! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, ouch! Great take on the challenge, love the cameo. Thanks for playing with us at TIOT.
    Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you had lost the plot there lol two gorgeous boxes Valerie :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've boxed myself many time and it does hurt. Your boxes are beautiful. I like them both but the candy one I love it because I know it still smells like coffee and choco inside.:) Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!
    Love your recycle- reuse materials to create such lovely art!! :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic altered boxes Valerie I love both of them. I have never heard of choccie covered coffee beans but they sound amazing.

    Great to have you join us at the Hatters for our birthday challenge

    Lotsa Luv Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, hitting yourself, freezing yourself, you really suffer for your art, don't you?!

    Lovely altering of your 2 boxes - I particularly like the coffee beans one. Chocolate covered coffee beans sound yummy but, for me anyway, not a good idea after lunchtime - did you manage to sleep at all last night?!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Valerie both of the boxes are beautiful but my favourite is the round box. Glad you slept well maybe choc is the answer to insomnia lol thanks for joining the fun games at OOAH. Hugs Sandra X

    ReplyDelete
  11. What amazing transformation on both boxes, they are beautiful. I think the round one is my favourite. Now. But in the original state with the contents, errmm, no. I shudder at the thought of crunching coffee beans. Horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW alles schaut absolut edel aus,tolle Farben und fantastische Dekoration, ganz großes Kino, gefällt mir sehr gut.
    LG Anja

    ReplyDelete
  13. These boxes are fantastic and I especially love the shape and the colours of the second one. Thanks for playing along with our birthday challenge at Out of a hat creations this week. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, more beautiful goodies to feast my eyes upon. I do LOVE your laundry box. We don't have 50 cent pieces anymore in Canada. You did a beautiful job of respraying the Swaroski box. I would have had silver paint all over the place. Good luck with your challenges. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. fantastische Metamorphosen Valerie! Du bist eine begnadete Prima Donna Alteratione!

    frohe Ostern!

    das neue MOO MANIA THEMA:
    MOO-MANIA-CHALLENGE

    wartet schon auf Dich..lol!



























    ReplyDelete
  16. Two awesome alterations, love the one with the cameo. Thats dedication spraying paint outside in weather like this. Thank you for joining the fun at TioT's t.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well it looks like you have been having some fun creating. These both look AMAZING...

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  18. We'll be peeling you off the ceiling soon Valerie, between paint fumes and quick kick coffee beans! Your creativity is buzzing too, both boxes are beautiful. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous bit of recycling there Valerie. I do like that Graphics 45 paper you used :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic vintage boxes Valerie,thanks for joining in with our birthday game at Out of a Hat
    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  21. both are gorgeous, Valerie! I love the lace you've added.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. both are gorgeous, Valerie! I love the lace you've added.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Had a laugh about the tape sticking so much better once it's fallen off...amazing isn't it? LOVE your altered boxes! Thanks for playing along with us over at Try it on Tuesday Recycle it Challenge! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just beautiful transformations, Valerie. Love the coin one especially. Something nice to look at when starting on the dreaded laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both boxes are beautiful, and I am glad that you were able to make the sacrifice to empty out the second one! Those sequin flowers are gorgeous and just make the box!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are both sooo pretty (the second is my personal favourite!!) and I hope you slept well!!

    Thank you for playing along with us at TioT!

    Hugs,
    die amelie x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Two fabulous altered boxes Valerie, and you were very brave spraying outside in the cold!
    Thanks for joining us at TioT.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your boxes what sweet projects... I love the sound of the coffee beans....

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are super gorgeous Val! You are so very talented, I am always so amazed by what you make out of recycled materials! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  30. fabbie altered boxes so glad you joined us at SCH
    hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.