Friday 12 October 2012

Postcard Challenge and PPF

Another week is over, and it's time for Paint Party Friday and Darcy's Postcard Challenge again, where our theme this week is Scotland. I may not be able to participate next week, as my knee is being operated on next week, and although I should be home by Friday, I am not sure how fit I will be. But I hope to be able to visit you all anyway!

Cissie and Thelma have been invited to a Scottish evening at a friend’s, who originally came from Glasgow, married a ‘foreigner’ from London, and settled there. But she has invited her friends to celebrate her birthday with Haggis, whisky and Scottish dress. Cissie is, as always, game for everything and anything. Thelma is still making excuses. ‘I haven’t got a kilt or anything suitable to wear!’ she moans. ‘We can buy one!’ says Cissie. ‘I don’t like haggis!’ sighs Thelma. ‘Have you tried it?’ asks Cissie. ‘No! Of course not....Oh well,’ answers Thelma. ‘If I eat something beforehand, I won’t starve even if I don’t want to eat it!’ ‘That’s the spirit!’ exclaims Cissie! ‘And talking of spirit – there will be plenty of whisky and good tea, too!’
The ladies get dolled up to go out, Cissie with a kilt and accessories to match, and Thelma wearing a tartan scarf round her neck as she does not want to buy a kilt. They take a taxi to their friend’s house, and are greeted by a merry band of elderly ladies, all wearing various shades of tartan, and sporting accessories like thistles and sporrans.


Tartans


The Scottish thistle


A sporran

There is not only whisky to drink, but red wine and beer, and Cissie samples them all, refusing to think about the headache she will have the next day. Thelma is rather pissed inebriated, too, by the time dinner starts, and tucks in to her haggis,  neeps and tatties with gusto, and manages more than one portion, as does Cissie.




No words necessary....


(Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach and simmered for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a sausage casing rather than an actual stomach. Neeps are turnips and tatties potatoes). For dessert there is Tipsie Laird and apple frushie, followed by oat cakes and Dunlop cheese.


Tipsie Laird


 After dinner they listen to Scottish folk songs, and everybody sings along as best they can. In the wee, small hours of the morning they take a taxi home, and stagger, singing ‘Scots wha hae’ back to their flat, much to the amusement of neighbours who hear them. They sleep late the next day, and both decide to wear sunglasses at breakfast, which consists of Alka Seltzer and strong tea….


(All pictures courtesy of Wikipedia Commons; Alka Seltzer collage made in Picasa)

Here is the postcard they send after sobering up:




For Paint Party Friday I am sharing a paint roller picture  (60x42cms) which I have called 'Skyscrapers and rainbow'. I have used acrylics, painted with a 1" roller, which I made myself by dissecting a larger one into several small ones. 



So that was all for today. Have a great weekend you all, take care, and thanks for visiting!




44 comments:

  1. I am not sure that I would have eaten haggis! Cissie is game for anything! Lovely card and painting! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great evening. I love haggis !!! Glad Aunt Cissie did too. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just loved the story and having been to a similar evening in a Scottish castle it took me right back to that. Even the haggis had whiskey in it and was delicious.The postcard is such fun as always.

    The second piece is brilliant--would never have thought of using a roller with acrylics and it works so well for you.

    Hope all goes well with your knee operation--I am too scared to have mine done.

    Love Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those girls do know how to have fun don't they!?

    Really love the colours of your roller painting.

    Good luck for next week with your operation

    Karenxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to say I adore Haggis. Have had some good ones in my day - made by hand, from scratch in Scotland. Also am in love with Tartans. My mother-in-law's grandfather was a weaver in the village of Strathaven - years ago when weaving was still a cottage industry. He specialized in weaving silk tartans - very beautiful - some of which still exist in the family. Ah, your story is bringing back memories. Good for Aunt Cissie - love her zest for life. Good luck with your knee - keep us posted. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never fancied haggis myself but I love your story and photo's and your painting is fabulous.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm you've put me in the mood for haggis for tea tonight!

    Love Cissie dressed up in her tartan and wearing her sporran as a necklace!

    Love the effect on your painting. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant postcard! We love haggis and eat it often. Wishing you all the best for your operation. I shall miss you next week.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading about the Scottish adventures as my husband is Scottish and we visit there often. Last time, we had vegan haggis in Glasgow which was gorgeous and no sheep were harmed!
    I love that in the postcard she is wearing a sporran as a necklace!
    Good luck with your knee operation next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Valerie

    Nobody else mentioned it, so perhaps they don't see it, but I have boxes floating all over your page about an image. Never seen that before!

    It was a bit difficult to read the story. However, I'm glad Cissie and Thelma enjoyed their dinner - and drinks.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. umm yeah not haggis for me, thank you.

    <3 your card'age beautiful tartan <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope all goes well with the 'op Valerie and make sure you rest young lady.
    Loving the postcard humour and your magical canvas. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your skyscraper painting!

    I think if I was hosting a party and saw Cissie and Thelma rolling up I'd be in a full blown panic that I hadn't stocked up on nearly enough food and liquor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story is great, and I am glad I don't have to pay Cissie & Co's food bills! Love the painting, too! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great story with such interesting details! Loved all the information on haggis,(I don't think I would eat one)thistle, tatties and such! I love how you get right into the local flavor! Cissie looks fabulous in the postcard and your roller painting is amazing! I never would have dreamed to use a roller! I hope you do well with the knee operation, just do what the doctors tell you to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so look forward to your Friday post and postcard adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 403 Forbidden is what the boxes say and something about fine removed due to violation of Image Shack Terms of Service? Not sure what this is about.

    Love your skyscraper, the colors are awesome. Enjoyed the photos and story as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the story and your sense of humor...,great card, Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Scotland is one of those magical places I'd love to visit again. You and Cissie have done wonders to bring back fantastic memories. The postcard is great and Cissie looks positively regal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't like whisky but I am partial to haggis. Cissie looks fabulous in her sporran necklace - she must have a rather large neck! Hope all goes well for your op, be sure and do as the doctors tell you!! Take care, hugs. Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Always such fun Valerie.
    A fabulous postcard.
    Wishes
    Lynne
    from a very dreich Scotland but don't worry I will not be drowning my sorrows in whisky (don't drink) nor eating haggis for dinner (strict vegetarian)!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous shape and colours Valerie :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoyed the paintings at the bottom of this post. Wonderful shapes and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your painting, – like Lynn said, wonderful shapes and colors, really pleases my eye! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'm digging the paint roller pieces! great colors -- they remind me of stained glass!

    ReplyDelete
  26. don't know about the haggis but I too posted about and enjoyed a fully Celtic weekend in my home town-no whiskey for me but the Guinness flowed! What a fun time you all had! Love your paintings too-HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I would have a hard time enjoying that meal, but all the rest sounds like great fun!

    Best wishes for your upcoming knee surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck with the knee surgery first of all.

    Love your creative PPF. And Scotland's on my bucket list, nice photos and postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved reading about the Haggis, something I have never fancied eating. The roller painting look amazing.
    Hope all goes well with your knee surgery.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great visit to Scotland and loved seeing the dessert... looked delicious... I hope the operation goes smoothly and that you are feeling great by this time next week...xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always look forward to the postcard story. And your painting is absolutely incredible! Best wishes for a speedy recovery after knee surgery! I'll be sending good thoughts your way this week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Valerie, the operation will go smoothly and your healing time will be swift! Will be sending positive thoughts your way! Loved the story, but thinking I would pass on that meal!! Great postcard and artwork once again! Enjoy your weekend and don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic story... Love your humor, Valerie! :]
    Always enjoy my Friday visits.
    Great post card and such a clever technique applying your acrylics with a roller. Wonderful work. ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loving all the transparent and brilliant layers in Skyscrapers and rainbow!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the Skyscrapers so much - fantastic layers of colour.
    And another fun episode...I had to laugh as I pictured Cissie and Thelma drunkenly singing their way home!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Best of luck with your surgery!!! Will be sending you lots of love, positive healing thoughts and a great big hug!
    Love the Scottish night out and I would give that food a try in a heartbeat! Great post card and I love that painting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good luck with your knee surgery! Hope it goes well. Your skyscraper abstract is wonderful and the contining adventures of Cissie, Thelma and the kids are fabulous! LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  38. sounds like a great evening, a good read again. hope everything goes well with your operation..if you can get to a computer, just write the next chapter and do the postcard later, will miss you.xxx take care.

    ReplyDelete
  39. ~~~quick healing vibes~~~
    I love to go around the world with your gang. :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just adore your roller painting ...incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great skyscrapers wrapped up with a lovely rainbow ...beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Cissie is quite the adventurous traveller! love her look this week! Mx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fun post, interesting place for Cissie to wear the sporan!!! Hope all goes well for your op, see you soon.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Roller painting, I like it. Good luck with operation. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.