Friday 27 July 2012

Whitechapel to India and back in one day

Hi everybody, welcome to another edition of Paint Party Friday, hosted by Eva and Kristin, and Darcy's Postcard Challenge, where our participants are off to India.

It’s less than 2 weeks to the wedding now, and tempers are definitely getting rather frayed, to say the least. The ‘oldies’ are happy that Shannon and Jason are going out for the day. Jason has told them that they are ‘off to India’ for a day. ’Don’t be stupid’ they shout in chorus.'It's much too far!' ‘Yes, we are’ laugh Jason and Shannon. ‘Well, actually we’re going to Brent. A friend of Shannon’s is tourist guide at the Neasden Temple, and we’re getting a guided tour, and then we’re going to a posh Indian restaurant!’ And with that, they wave goodbye and go.
They take the tube from Aldgate East Station - next to the wonderful Whitechapel Art Gallery -
and after changing to the Bakerloo Line at Paddington, take a tube to  Stonebridge Park Station, and then walk along Conduit Way, hand in hand, to the Temple, which is called the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir.




(Temple photos courtesy of Wikipedia Commons)


 Their friend Abha –her lovely name means ‘lustrous beauty’- is waiting for them, dressed in a gorgeous Sari. Shannon sees Jason looking at her a few seconds longer than necessary, and gives him a discreet kick on his ankle, which causes his eyes to water, when Abha turns to point something out to them….At the visitor’s centre they see lots of photos and a film about the building of the Temple, built entirely using traditional methods and materials. Neasden’s Swaminarayan Mandir is Britain’s first authentic Hindu temple. It was also Europe’s first traditional Hindu stone temple, as distinct from converted secular buildings. It is a part of the Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha(BAPS) organization and was inaugurated on August 20, 1995 by Pramukh Swami Maharaj. The mandir was built and funded entirely by the Hindu community. The entire project spanned five years although the Mandir construction itself was completed in two and a half years. Building work began in August 1992. On 24 November 1992, the temple recorded the biggest-ever concrete-pour in the UK, when 4,500 tons was put down in 24 hours to create a foundation mat 6 ft (1.8m) thick. The first stone was laid in June 1993; two years later, the building was complete. Angkor Wat in Cambodia is larger but is no longer used as a Hindu temple. It has even been entered into the Guiness World Records as the largest Hindu Temple built outside India.

After touring the different buildings, and admiring the beauty of the temple, they go with Abha to the Shayona restaurant opposite the Temple. The ambience is a trifle more swishy than their usual chippie, and they enjoy enormous amounts of delicious Indian foods from the well stocked Gujarati buffet. After they have eaten and drunk their fill – probably enough to feed and water a herd of hungry elephants – they take leave of Abha. Shannon snarls into Jason’s ear, ‘Don’t dare to kiss her goodbye!’, and so Jason just shakes hands, and they walk off to the tube. The time spent in the tube is great for catching up on some snogging, much to the delight of some kids sitting opposite, and they arrive home in time for a light meal consisting of mounds of smoked sandwiches, Greek salad with feta cheese, strawberries and ice cream and a variety of cream cakes. Here is the card they send home, showing Abha in front of the Temple:




For Paint Party Friday I want to share some journal pages I made using collage, paint, spray etc. Everytime I got something done, I painted over it and started again, but have decided to leave them as they are now, as I am sure they would not be able to take another layer!




These pages were from the week before, and were also not what I wanted, but sometimes you win, sometimes you lose!





Have a great day you all, thanks for visiting and take care!


51 comments:

  1. Love everything you have made, I don't know why you don't like those pages! Another good story, too, looking forward to the wedding! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw... I'm sure it is just lost in the post but I haven't had my invite yet to the big day? I've bought a hat and everything :)

    I like you journal pages. Love how you cut the image of the lavender into strips....

    I heart your hearts!

    Please could you tell me about paint sprays? I am finally going to order my stencils and I'm thinking about the sprays to use with them.

    Will you be watching the Olympics btw?

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - just so much to see, read and enjoy!! This is wonderful blogging and such fun for me to enjoy. If I commented on everything I like we'd be here all day so just one word: gorgeous. Can't think why you have some doubts?
    I shall return for the next episode. . . .
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's 10 past eight in the morning...and I want a curry!!!
    Never heard of that temple...absolutely beautiful!!! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I wouldn't mind one, either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fun read along with some fab pictures. Loving your sense of adventure with the journal pages. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful story and terrific postcard and pages.The colours are beautiful.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pages for paint party Friday esp. the ones for this week.
    And I love the way you interpreted India....I didn't know all the facts about the Indian Temple, so thank you for educating me. Great postcard too.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like Shannon's jealousy at all. Lol! Poor Jason. Love the postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why Shannon was a bit jealous, Abha is quite lovely and the temple is amazing! Love the journal pages, the cut up glossy looks fab and I love all the great pieces on the music page too! The hearts are gorgeous also! I must admit, I too feel a bit miffed that I have not been invited to the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your journal pages and especially love the tour of such a beautiful place. It's like I'm on a vacation when I come here. I get whisked into another world. Thank you for that. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you've sliced up your photograph in the journal page! I need to think outside of the box like that more often. :) Wonderful story! Happy PPF and thanks so much for the beautiful mail art this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice visit to India and beautiful journal pages, great that you can just do them over until you are somewhat happy with them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful journal pages and the lovely postcard you received too. Nice!!

    Have a great day!

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! your pages today are absolutely stunning, I love the colours, the music themed one is fabby and the hearts on flourishes are such a brilliant dramatic effect, love them
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh Shannon is going to have to keep her eye on Jason lol. I love your postcard, and I had no idea there was such a temple in London. Your journal pages are brilliant, I really like your hearts.
    Have a fab weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I want a curry right NOW! Fabulous work and really interesting research. I have enjoyed reading all about the temple and your art work is great.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad I'm not the only one who paints over my work!
    and I really like the way the pages turned out;
    especially those hearts- great fun!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    P.S. I also really enjoyed the Cissie and Jason fix- I've missed those two!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw your amazing envelope over Kat's and she said you are in Germany. I hadn't realized you were there. My daughter just yesterday returned from 7 weeks in Germany from a language exchange program. She had a beyond fabulous time in Germany. It's fun to listen to her mix English and German as she speaks- she was not allowed any English while there so she is working on adjusting back to primarily English.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous projects, the pages are beauties. Great day out for the Happy Couple, gosh the nerves will be high by now.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving your journal pages so rich with layers!!
    Have a great weekend!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really enjoyed how you presented this post--what fun! I really like all the journal pages--especially the magazine strip collage!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So much to enjoy...thanks for sharing it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful journal pages, especially the ones with hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was at Aldgate East Tube station a couple of weeks ago, I am sure I saw the couple..ah.ah. great research didnt know about that temple. a great postcard..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very creative and stunning journal pages ~ wonderful colors ~~ thanks, namaste, (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! A beautiful journal and love these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for this nice India story, Im always interest in everything about India. Is it somekind of a postcard swap?
    Love your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the heart page with the words in it... and continuing story is such a delight... catching up on snogging while on the tube... love it...xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous story and of course, I'm lovin those journal pages, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fun story read...real or fiction, not sure but fun nonetheless!

    Enjoyed your journal pages as well.
    Love the layers!!!!
    HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Valerie. Me thinks Shannon is feeling a little bit insecure! Nice to hear they have had a change of diet. I do worry about the colesterol :) Wonderful journal pages. Especially the one with the hearts. Take care.
    Hugs, Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful Temple picture and loved the story and your postcard was divine!
    your journal pages are great too. We are our own worst critics.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great research on the temple and good story as always. Love your journal pages. Keep making a start on journalling and then get side tracked.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I ha no idea about that temple, thanks for writing about it. Next time I am in London it's on my list.And I am craving Indian food now.

    Love the journal pages, you have used all my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG - definitely love your journal entries, but definitely your story pics!!! so cool & exotic!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Roll on the wedding now, it's not surprising they are a little jumpy LOL Fab pages, I love the heart shapes and great colours, purple mmm yum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Valerie,
    I love it all! But, wow, those journal pages are amazing!!! You create the BEST journal pages!!!! I hope you're having a good weekend!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oooh Val... your journal pages are beautiful... loved reading your story... fab photos... and the postcard is gorgeous...

    Hugs
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your journal pages are amazing..Lovin all that purple goodness. t/c, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  41. What an interesting story! Love your postcard. Your journal pages are beautiful. I love the purples. x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Valerie, the colors you used on your new pages are wonderful!!!

    Day trip to India??? Whatever it takes to give Aunt Cissie and Thelma a break for the day. Loved the story and the interaction between the couple and Apha. So true, so true.

    Hugs,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love your journal pages, so many layers and textures. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Had to get in my weekly storytime. Thanks for sharing your journaling pages. I'm new at this and always come here to your blog for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  45. holy crap I had no idea we had that in Britain!!! i am amazed. We are off down to London in September, maybe we can go visit.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Another great story to go along with your images.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Once again I really enjoyed your story. And the postcard looks great. I also love your journal pages. So creative my friend..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm not certain where you're getting your information,
    but good topic. I must spend some time learning more or
    understanding more. Thanks for excellent info I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.


    Feel free to surf to my webpage; making money

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.