Monday 6 December 2010

An Altered Drawer




Well, some time ago I started altering this little drawer made for sorting slides, and wanted to enter it into a challenge. It took soooooo long, that the challenge is long done and dusted, but I have managed to finish it, don't like leaving unfinished things in the dark corners of my flat - they are probably all full up, anyway! I started by removing all the *shelves* and supports in the drawer, sanded it off, and started painting - that's where the trouble started, as it just sucked up every coat of paint I put on it, and I was determined to use just things I had, otherwise it wouldn't have been recycling. Anyway, after a lot of work I got a coat of bronze structure paint to stick, which I roughed up a bit using an old washing up sponge. The inside has been painted with a remnant of sage green acrylic paint, which I then sprayed with some walnut sparkle spray to cover up the thin bits. Gave a powdering of perfect pearls in green and gold to round it off, and then hammered and sawed till I had got the dividers more or less back in where I wanted them, Then I filled it with different bits of mini - glass vases and other bits and bobs, and added a clock, which cost 1€ at the Euro shop. That was it. My neighbour saw it, looked at it rather critically, and said *It looked better before!* Never mind, he's a man, and I had fun making it, that's the main thing. Thanks for looking!!!

17 comments:

  1. Ignore him Val! I think it's lovely.
    Hugs,
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Val its totally fabby. I agree with SusieJ...ignore him......lol Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this is the drawer you've been promising to show us....it's A-MAZING! That man must be blind, no way did it look better before. I'd be proud as anything if I made something like this, you clever thing. CoB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies, feel better hearing some nice comments that the one from old grumpy next door!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work again, love this little object, looks really good! Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? He must be regretting that comment! Or he's a purist, thinking things should remain in their original state. I, on the other hand, love the altered version. Sounds like quite a painting project but the end result is beautiful. I also love your collection of bottles. Totally fabby piece! And thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the nice comments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's fab val, well done and like the others said, 'what does he know, he's just a man'...

    maria x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks brilliant Val, I'm very impressed with your recycling skills and perseverance with awkward paint!

    Well done!

    Hugs - Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Carole, it was a good feeling that I didn't chuck it in between!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Val its just wonderful, ignor him hes only a man,he clearly knows nothing about art I love the colour and the objects hugs alma xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Alma, I knew you would like the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing work! I love how you altered this drawer! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Shar, it was - as always - a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is truly wonderful Valerie! Well worth all the effort and a beautiful thing to adorn your wall. What does a man know anyway - the plonker!
    Hugs, Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right u r - what does he know???? Glad you like my drawer, I just need to find some space on one of my walls....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.