Monday 29 November 2010

Gingersnap Challenge *Vintage Hues*






This is my entry for the GS *Vintage hues* challenge. I used a photo of the wedding of my Great Uncle Benny, taken in 1927. My Mum is the bridesmaid second from the left - the only one who is smiling and evidently enjoying herself! - and sitting next to her on the left is her older sister, who was nearly always scowling... The bride and groom don't look too happy either! But it is a photo I like very much, and it is hanging in my hall together with some other reminders of the *good* (?) old days....
I used an embossed paper for the background, which has been distressed with antique linen, stormy skies and chipped saphire, as were the flowers - made from the tattered florals die. The centres are from prima. The flourishes have been cut by hand out of sheet of paper from as SEI stack, that took the longest, working with a little pair of nail scissors.... The alphas are cut with a Sizzix die, *Cherish* has been cut with a Bosskut die. Was, as usual, fun to make, thanks for looking!

15 comments:

  1. Beutiful vintage LO Val! I love the photo but see what you mean about them not looking very happy!
    Hugs,
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, I wonder what was going on to make them look so grim??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Val. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Val, you've done a great job! I don't understand why no one was allowed to smile in photographs in the olden days - not even on their wedding day!

    Hugs - Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carole. I think my Great Uncle had nothing to smile about when he got married to that lady! She was a dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely LO val, love the colours you've used, and yes I had to 'smile' at them not smiling, lol..

    pleased to see your OK as not seen you posting on DC just reading...

    maria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Maria, I'm fine, was on DC, but couldn't post for some strange reason!!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely LO. Hope all is well with you! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic layout, I love that big flourish, it makes a great frame for the photo. Shame they look so grim, but good on your mum for enjoying herself. Now I see where you get your rebel tendencies from, lol. I always love seeing your family photos, Valerie. CoB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the wonderful texture and the rich purple hues ... gorgeous design ... thanks for joining the Fashion-themed fun at Gingersnap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great vintage feel to your layout and such a great photo to have! You've done it justice with your LO - just beautiful. Thanks for playing with us at Gingersnap Creations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Wow! Stunning! Glorious Vintage effect and the photos are lovely, would have been nice to see some smiling faces tho but in those times no one ever smiles whilst having their photos taken. Does not detract from their beauty tho. Well and congratulations again.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks China, how good that we can smile today as much as we want on our pics!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. All your comments are much appreciated! Please be aware that by leaving a comment you are voluntarily sharing your name and / or the details of your blog.